New gas range hookup question


Old 10-29-12, 02:48 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: USA
Posts: 3
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New gas range hookup question

Planning on new gas stove installation in San Jose, CA. There will be a new 3/4" gas line run to kitchen. We plan to buy a 30" range(~ 65K BTU). Have following questions:
1. To connect from main gas line to Gas stove - We plan to use 1/2" flexible gas connector be good enough - can someone chime in if we need to have 3/4" connector here.
2. Max length of the flexible gas connector - we are thinking of having it to be greater than the usual 3' (something like 6') to allow easy pull out of range. can someone confirm if this is fine ?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-29-12, 04:29 PM
PJmax's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Northern NJ - USA
Posts: 57,708
Received 918 Votes on 858 Posts
I would use at least a 5/8" flexible line for a range. Comes in a multiple lengths up to 5' I believe.
Old 10-30-12, 07:14 AM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 10,440
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Techrover

A full size free standing natural gas range should have a large 7/8ths size flex line connected to a shut off. (isolation valve) Valve installed directly (no adapters) on the outlet gas supply pipe. Length, best as I recall is 5-6 feet. Do not connect several of any size together to increase length. Very likely sections connected together will leak or can leak in the future.

Then an adapter (Female on one end and tapered cone shaped on the other end) installed on to the inlet manifold of the range. Adapters should come with flex installation kit which might need to be purchased separately. Use thread compound on threads to prevent binding of the threads, easy of threading onto outlet and inlet pipes. Do not coat cone shaped end or portion on the cone. Only on the threads. In some cases the compound blocks or can block full or even partial amounts of gas flow when it covers the opening of and on the cone or inlet/outlet sides.

Be sure the gas regulator is installed onto the ranges inlet first. Before any adapter is installed. Should that range not already have the regulator already pre-installed or as a built in part. Most new ranges the regulator is already installed. May have the adapter provided also. Follow all manufacturers installation instructions and know the codes in your area prior to range installation.

Any questions and or doubts, you're in an area (PG&E a Sempra energy company) where they provide nat gas range and or dryer connections services and safety checks. Phone number to call for in home services located on the gas bill...
Old 11-28-12, 09:05 PM
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: San Jose,Ca
Posts: 1,561
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
5/8" are no longer available. With that size you were able to attach the connector directly to a 1/2" pipe without using adapters. Now 7/8" is considered the size if needed.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: