Maytag Dryer Heating Problem

Old 10-30-12, 11:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag Dryer Heating Problem

Maytag DG510 NG dryer, ignitor bar glows and gas fires fine initially. Once it reaches temperature, firing stops correctly, but after that no more firing. Ignitor bar glows and just stays on, but no gas. The only way to get it to fire again is to open dryer door to stop, close door and restart.

I thought it might be the coils so I replaced all of them, but the problem persists.

Any ideas on what might be causing the problem would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-12, 02:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 58 Posts
Tough one there first thing I though was gas coils but you have replaced them. Maybe some of the gas guys will have idea. Look for loose wiring connections around door switch.

Old 10-31-12, 08:47 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello rdn2113 and Welcome into the Gas Appliances topic.

Thinking outside the box.

Do an exhaust vent test. Disconnect exhaust vent at the back of the dryer. Run dryer for the first time not on the second reattempt try by your method of opening the door to reset the cycle.

Same condition exists? Vent (Exhaust) may be restricted. Might be a stuck or not fully opening flapper door in exhaust hood outside, bend or crimped vent tube somewhere between dryer and exhaust hood, excessive lint in vent tube and/or excessive lint in the blower compartments fan cage and/or lint filter ducting, etc.

Any exhaust restriction and/or an excessively long vent tube will cause burner flame distortions effecting the burners flame in turn activating the overheating safety device located on the flame hood around the burners flame. A reset opening the door may reset the safety or any safety device to prevent overheating.

Check door safety switch. Might be a loose connection as mentioned by pugsl or might be a defective door switch. Might be a bad or loose connection at door switch or at some other location or connection point, etc. None of which is easy to locate, find, determine working well.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Maytag Appliance Home Page:
Maytag | Kitchen, Laundry & Home Appliances
Maytag 1-800-688-9900 USA >Customer Service Help Number<
Maytag 1-800-688-2002 Canada
Maytag is also the maker of Amana, Jenn-Air, Magic Chef and Caloric Appliances.

Kindly use the reply button to add additional information or ask additional questions and kindly post back the results. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Old 10-31-12, 02:41 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Forgot about that one. Sharp advise most likely hit on the head. A clogged vent will do that.

Old 10-31-12, 10:55 PM
Hi guys - I should have mentioned that I replaced the vent tube when I changed out the coils. Also cleaned the vent pipe and hood, etc.

Thanks!

Old 11-01-12, 02:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Did you try dryer with vent disconnected. Try that way anyway have seen many vent problems after cleaned.

Old 11-01-12, 04:31 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts

Hello: RDN

In your last post above, #5, you mentioned changing out the vent tubing. But no indication nor mentioning you did the VENT Testing as requested. This Vent Test is a must do step, before we can proceed further. We need to be sure a simple possible problem cause like a restricted vent is not the problem. Nor an excessive lint is inside the blower cage assembly, etc.

* VIP:
>Makes no sense to me as a diagnostics technician to check or suspect any other parts, areas or systems before we are sure the simplest and most common causes are not the problem.<

Diagnostics is a step by step process of elimination of possible and common causes. Run the dryer without the vent connected with a normal load of clothes in it. Note if the same condition exists or not before attempting any repairs and/or suspecting the problem is somewhere else.

Once the above is determined and noted, post back that result so we know where we are in the testing procedure. And if we need to fix what is presently the cause found by the test or move on to suspected possible more difficult testing and or areas to consider that might be the cause.

Did you >call< Maytags customer service number? Might be surprised what helpful advice they can or will offer. Heard my customers praise them for having excellent customer service phone advice. Try. Note the results. Hopefully you too will get someone whom can offer good advice.

Old 11-18-12, 10:19 PM
Hi all,

Been tied up the past few weeks so sorry for the delay. I will try the vent test as suggested this week. I'll post back when I have the results.

Thank you!