Gas dryer won't stay lit

Old 01-27-01, 07:20 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a very OLD General Electric Gas dryer model #DDG7100NALWH , Ser # ZM302 427G.
When the dryer is first turned on, the burner runs for 5-6 minutes and then turns off. After a minute or so, the igniter sparks for a few seconds but the burner will not ignite. The dryer will continue to run for the duration of the timer setting but not re-ignite to dry the clothes.
If I stop the dryer after the igniter fails to light the burner, and let it set for ten minutes, it repeats the same process as mentioned above.

Any ideas on what the problem might be?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, Steve

Old 01-27-01, 09:02 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Restricted Exhaust Vent

Hi:Steve

The easiest test to do for the condition you discribed is to remove and clear the exhaust vent. It may be restricted with excess lint which restricts the discharge of air. This condition will cause the dryers burner to shutoff do to overheating.

If the dryer will run normally with the vent removed, either clearing the vent tube and checking the flapper door on the vent hood should correct the problem.

Another place to check is the fan blower cage. To check here for excess lint you'll need to remove the front panel. The door is part of this assembly.

If any of the above fails to correct the problem, then you'll have to remove the whole gas valve assembly and take it to the local retail appliance store for testing. It's most likely defective solenoids but could also be a defective high limit switch.

Check into the archives of this forum for more information and directions on how to remove gas valves on dryers and read the safety tips also.

Old 01-28-01, 01:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Tom!

I'll give your suggestions a try and let you know how it comes out.

I appreciate your time.

Steve Kraber

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: