Burner on Thermador cooktop won't light

Old 11-01-12, 10:02 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Burner on Thermador cooktop won't light

I have a 1998 Thermador SGCS365RS cooktop (5 burners).

I am getting gas to all burners. I know this because I can always light individual ones with a match. The problem is getting the spark.

For example, I turn on burner A. No spark.
While A is on, I turn on B.... and I get spark and both burners A & B both ignite.

My understanding is that when any single burner is turned on, all 5 should get sparks. This is not happening. Only some of the knobs will get me spark. All of the ignition elements are capable of sparking, but only some knobs are capable of initiating the spark.

What part(s) need replacing?

From my research it seems my "spark module" is still good, because I do get spark in the system.

Is the problem this thing called "spark ignition switch"? If you think so, where is it located? Is it just one per knob that isn't producing spark?

Many thanks to the expert who can set me straight!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-12, 04:59 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello RedCab. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

A likely and common cause for the problem described is the ignition switch. Located on top of the burner knob beneath the top lid. To access you'll need to lift or remove the top lid. First you'll have to remove the grates, decorative chrome rings, burner knobs which pull off, etc.

Be sure both electrical and gas supply to appliance is turned OFF prior to beginning work. Lid should lift up. If the knobs are located in front facing panel, you'll need to access behind it which often still requires top lid access.

Once all the above is accomplished, on top of each burner valve is a switch that has two wires attached to it. Disconnect wire to effected burner. If you're handy with and have an OHM meter test suspected defective switch for continuity. Very likely and possible the switch that does not work is defective. Can be replaced with a new one at any local appliance retail parts store in your area.

Test the electric switches located on the gas valves for continuity. There should not be any continuity when the valves are off. Turn the switch on and there should be continuity.

Be advised. Electrical power must be OFF first. Gas supply too. Prior to working on appliance. The valve knobs may be somewhat difficult to pull off. While attempting to do so, valve is being unseated which causes gas to leak out around stem and at the burner.... Reason why gas must be off first.

Also be aware, those switch wires are electrically HOT when ever appliance is plugged into power supply. Power must be OFF or very likely a HOT wire end will or could ground to stove when removed.

Additional Advice and Information About That Condition Should Be Here:
Read the Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Informational Sticky Note, in this forums topic, for more detailed information.

Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information, Fault Codes & Mfg's Web Site Links http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be also. They will need the make, model an serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

TIP:
The only positive proof any part like a spark module is functioning correctly, is to carefully remove the part or parts you suspect to be the problem. Have the local appliance parts store person help make the final determination which part or parts are defective.

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Old 11-04-12, 12:02 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Does anyone have any Thermador specific advice? This unit has "simmer control" on 2 of the 5 burners. Do those controls have a potentiometer or a switch?

Old 11-04-12, 07:22 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Red

Thermador specific advice???

Not likely needed. Same method(s) applies to all stoves/ranges. Simmer controls do not really nor specifically apply either. Switches are all the same and all located on top of the valve stems beneath the top lid and or front panel. In either case, access needs to be obtained.

What you'll need to do is posted above regardless of brand name, features, options like burner simmer controls or model type, etc. Generic to all range or stove models and brands that have spark ignition systems to light top burners. They all have use switches.

Suggestion:
Use the basic instructions above and post back the findings of the test on top burner ignition switches.