WATER HEATER

Old 01-27-01, 10:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I HAVE A FAMILY OF 5 ,RIGHT NOW I HAVE A 40 GALLON HOT WATER TANK , WE KEEP RUNNING OUT OF HOT WATER WHEN EVERYBODY TAKES A SHOWER. IF I REPLACE IT WHAT WOULD YOU RECOMMEND TO UPGRADE TO, OR SHOULD I STAY THE SAME.I DRAIN IT ABOUT 2-3 TIMES A YEAR, WHAT IS THE CORRECT WAY TO DRAIN A HOT WATER TANK?.I HAVE WELL WATER IF IT MATTERS.MY TANK IS ABOUT 5-6 YRS. OLD.

Old 01-28-01, 06:23 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi:keith

There isn't just a one step method to solve this problem. It may take several. Based on several factors.

One is to install a much larger tank size, should there be enough space to do so. Usually one size larger, 40 gallon to a 50 gallon, helps significantly. Combined with low flow shower heads, staggering showers, washing clothes and dishes, during different time spans.

Depending on the conditions of the demand load, size of house, piping, location of the tank, etc. you might be able to install a circulating pump with a larger tank.

The least expensive method is to stagger the demand load combined with reduced showering times.

Second option is a larger tank, if conditions permit plus water conservation methods combined with the above.

Suggest you contact a plummber for other ideas, methods and suggestions.

Old 01-28-01, 11:33 AM
camachinist
Visiting Guest
Cool Cold Showers...

hmmm...that's a lot of folks to be served by one 40 gallon gas water heater...

Take a look at two things...
On the heater ID label there should be a btu input number...say around 40,000 btu's...what does yours say?

On the Energy Guide, near the top left, there is a 1st hour rating...what does yours say?

Tom covered draining and/or flushing a hot water tank recently here; do search for "flushing hot water tank" in the forum search engine and see what you find...

I concur with the advice about limiting gpm's to the best of your ability...low flow delivery devices will, if you don't have them already, make a big difference when you're on the edge as you seem to be here.

Upgrading to a larger tank size and higher btu input is an option.....limited by the space the water heater fits into, vents out of and, of course, the size of your wallet.
Are you on LP or natural gas?

If I was doing an install for a family your size (I'm not a contractor, just an experienced DIYer) I would like to see a minimum 50gal tank with 45Kbtu input...ideally, either two 40 gal units or a single 75 gal unit depending on the floor plan of your home and the plumbing arrangement.

What type of heating plant do you use to keep the house warm...?

That's it for now...

Pat

PS....you might take some of your answers and questions over to the plumbing forum and get some help from the pros over there...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: