Whirlpool SF3020EKQ2 Gas Range-Oven is not working

Old 11-06-12, 12:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Whirlpool SF3020EKQ2 Gas Range-Oven is not working

My Whirlpool oven is not working, the stove top works fine. The ignitor is glowing, so I assume I need to replace a gas valve? I don't even hear the gas hiss when I turn the oven to on anymore.

Edited to add: The ignitor might also be a problem. It seems a little slow to turn on, doesn't turn on each and every time I test it by turning the oven to the ON position either...

I was wondering if someone could help me through fixing this on my own. I'm pretty much ignorant on what I'm dealing with. I've had a look around the various oven parts. I take it I'll need to order a part as well.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-12, 05:48 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Vikki911 and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and the Gas Appliances topic.

Most common and likely cause is the HSI. (Hot Surface Igniter) The igniter glows but not hot enough to ignite the gas. As a result, the gas valve that controls gas flow to the burner does not open. The HSI needs to be replaced.

There are hundreds of prior posts in this forum asking the identical question and explaining exactly how to replace the HSI. As well as in the sticky note >HERE<

In My Opinion (IMO) the last thing you'll want to do is order the replacement part on line. What you want to do is first turn off the electric power to the appliance. Likely that can be done by plugging the plug out of the wall socket.

Then remove the existing HSI and take it to any local retail appliance parts store in your area along with the brand name, model and serial numbers of the appliance. In this fashion with part in hand you'll be assured to get the correct part the first time. Follow the instructions in the box the part comes in.

Complete and detailed removal and installation instructions steps and procedures are in that sticky note. Link above. Locate the post that notes how to remove and replace an HSI.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any cleaning or repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Additional Resources here:

Whirlpool's Home Web Site: (Also makes appliances for Sears)
Whirlpool | Kitchen, Laundry & Home Appliances

Whirlpool Appliance Parts: (with pictures & diagrams)
Appliance Parts Pros.com Discount Appliance Parts

Advertisers & Sponsors Web Sites:
Appliance Parts, Pictures & Help:
Appliance Parts & Consumer Electronic Parts | PartSelect

Appliances Parts & Help:
Appliance Parts, Repair Help and Service Referral

Appliances Parts:
Appliance Parts at RepairClinic. 125 Brands. 365 Day Returns.

Kitchen Appliance Parts:
http://www.parts-depot.online.com