Whirlpool GEW9868KQ3 Gas Dryer - Stuck in Sensing Mode

Old 11-17-12, 02:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool GEW9868KQ3 Gas Dryer - Stuck in Sensing Mode

My wife went to start the dryer and she heard sounds like a circuit frying. The unit is still getting power, but it is stuck in the "sensing" mode and will not start.

Is this a sensing module or circuit board issue? Looking for some advice and maybe some idea of what part I can buy to fix this thing.

Thanks!

Jeff
Woodstock, GA

Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-12, 04:14 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
UNPLUG DRYER FIRST
Should be a tech sheet under console but GE tech sheets leave don't tell you a lot.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...Mod=GEW9868KQ3
Look at control board for burnt spots. link will show you parts

Old 11-17-12, 05:08 PM
$170.00 part. Does that sound reasonable? Cheaper than buying a new dryer, right?

Old 11-18-12, 04:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Never had to replace a board on your's. Google your model # and and see if any cheaper someplace else. Have only seen this once before and not sure it was your model but there was a bulletin out about sensor bad.
Cheaper than a dryer yes if that is the problem. Did you find the tech sheet and was it a help?

Old 11-18-12, 09:29 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,051 Votes on 975 Posts
I've seen them for just over 100.00

Old 11-19-12, 09:43 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello fornutoman and Welcome into the Gas Appliances topic.

You asked:
$170.00 part. Does that sound reasonable?
Reasonable as compared to what? New dryer? As stated below in your reply above?

Answer is YES.

Cheaper than buying a new dryer, right?
Answer again is YES.

Real question is it the correct part for the fix? May or may not be.

heard sounds like a circuit frying

Did you due this?
Look at control board for burnt spots. link will show you parts
Do this:
Open dryer and "LOOK" for any evidence of burnt wiring and/or parts, etc.

Better to verify need of any new part before making a purchase of one, IMO.

PJ you stated:
I've seen them for just over 100.00
Question is WHERE??? did you see it???? Online? Where is the link to the page?

My best advice to you and for you, is to look first and note any evidence of a failed and/or burnt component and/or part, etc. Depending upon what you post back as a reply here. Presently what info is posted here provides little details and/or anything specific, IMO.

Better info with more details provided by you the more specific advise can be offered....

>>>Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the most likely possible problem may be. They will need the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts and problem resolving matters. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.<<<

Safety Warning:
Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs or services. Always check for gas leaks whenever moving the appliance and/or a service or repair includes any connection of a gas part.

Whirlpool's Home Web Site: (Also makes appliances for Sears)
Whirlpool | Kitchen, Laundry & Home Appliances

Sponsors Web Sites:
Appliance Parts, Pictures & Help:
Appliance Parts & Consumer Electronic Parts | PartSelect

Appliances Parts & Help:
Appliance Parts, Repair Help and Service Referral

Appliances Parts:
Appliance Parts at RepairClinic. 125 Brands. 365 Day Returns.

Kitchen Appliance Parts:
http://www.parts-depot.online.com

Whirlpool Appliance Parts: (with pictures & diagrams)
Appliance Parts Pros.com Discount Appliance Parts

Uncle Harry's Appliance Repair Manuals, Videos, and Training

Repair Manuals:
Uncle Harry's Appliance Repair Manuals, Videos, and Training

Old 11-25-12, 08:55 AM
I removed the control panel and the control board appears to be just fine. No burn spots that I can see. The bracket that holds the control board is cemented to the control panel so I cannot see the part of the board that faces the panel. Should I try to remove the bracket to see the back side of the board and panel?

Also - Can you tell me how I can get the toe panel off? Dropped a screw down inside the unit . . .

Old 11-27-12, 07:56 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: fornutoman.

You asked this question:
Should I try to remove the bracket to see the back side of the board and panel?
Best answer (advice) I can offer is what other choice do you (we) have? IMO none.

The bracket that holds the control board is cemented to the control panel so I cannot see the part of the board that faces the panel.
Remove bracket somehow or best as you can without causing damage if possible. We have to see and know what's behind it. Might be possible to use a mirror and a flashlight. Must know what condition the back side is in before proceeding to far. Failure to know we could be changing parts all to no avail.

Some lower (kick) panels do not have two screws at the very base of the panel near the floor. Most front lower panels require the front panel with the door, be removed first. In that case look for two or more screws in the front door panel close to it's center. Remove them.

Then lift door front panel slightly and gently then remove panel carefully toward side with the door safety switch. Wires are two quick disconnects that need to be removed. Drum front will also drop down slightly That's normal.

Once front door panel is removed rest should be easy enough to figure out. Resume looking for lost screw and any evidence of burnt, damaged parts, components, etc. Do this all and reply back with results so we can proceed further. Less questions the better. More details and observations, specifics, etc the better.

By The Way (BTW) have you looked at any of the provided links above? Good idea to do so. Pictures and instructions say a thousand words and far more....

Old 11-27-12, 01:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...Mod=GEW9868KQ3
Part # 46 use a stiff putty knife and slip it above clip and door area, it will push clip down and you can pull panel out, There is a clip on each side. Is there a tech sheet in console if so it may have how to check sensor. If only wiring diagram not much help to check sensor.
Have had a lot of trouble with your control panel, buttons either stick or open and dryer won't work, Just looked up there is a tech sheet in console. Don't try to take panel apart.