Magic Chef

Old 11-19-12, 10:23 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Magic Chef

I just purchased a 1984 Alpinelite trailer and the oven in it will not light. The pilot will light and stay on but it will not heat up the thermal couple to allow it to heat. I do not hear gas come on, nor does the pilot get brighter as it has on the other gas stoves I have owned. Is it the thermal couple or the regulater? Or something else?
Thank you,
Janolyn

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-12, 11:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,036 Votes on 960 Posts
Hello.....we're going to need a make and model of your stove. Atwood maybe ?

Old 11-20-12, 10:51 AM
J
My stove is a Magic Chef and I cannot find a model name just a number.
BI18C(or L)S-4T2
Will that help?

Old 11-20-12, 02:12 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Janolyn. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

When and if constant burning pilot flame is lit and on and when temp knob rotated to set a temperature, constantly on pilot flame should light another much larger flame that angles downwards to heat an element. That element must be heated for burner to ignite.

If the larger flame lights and points downwards onto element, thus far all is okay. However, if heating the safety element, it's a tube looking like element, is being heated by larger flame but burner does not light up, safety element (Thermocouple) may be defective.

All pilot flames must be blue in color and have no yellow in them. Yellow indicated air intakes on pilot assembly are restricted and must be cleaned out. Instructions in sticky note Additional Advice & Information Located:HERE

More Info can be obtained below. Enough though appliance is in a camper, customer service rep should be able to help you. As can a local appliance retail parts store dealer.

Maytag Appliance Home Page:
Maytag | Kitchen, Laundry & Home Appliances
Maytag 1-800-688-9900 USA
Maytag 1-800-688-2002 Canada
Maytag is also the maker of Amana, Jenn-Air, Magic Chef and Caloric Appliances.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Old 11-20-12, 02:23 PM
Admin Emeritus

Hummm.

it will not heat up the thermal couple to allow it to heat. nor does the pilot get brighter as it has on the other gas stoves
"It will not heat up nor does the pilot get brighter" you mean Larger Flame (Actuating Pilo Flame) does not appear/light?

If so, gas tube to actuating flame might be clogged up and/or restricted from a long term being inoperative. Pilot assembly needs to be blowen out with a can of computer compressed air keyboard cleaner and or totally removed and cleaned out.

I highly doubt the gas to that actuating pilot flame is turned off by the flames adjusting set screw located behind thermostat dial. More likely gas tube restricted with dust or linty matterial, cleaning soap residue, etc.

Old 11-20-12, 03:06 PM
J
I will try cleaning it out and get back to you about that. First the gas tube........
Thanks

Old 11-21-12, 10:16 AM
J
Where is the flame adjusting screw? The pipe is clean, so I have to do the next thing.

Old 11-22-12, 06:41 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Janolyn

Where is the flame adjusting screw?
Location mentioned in post # 5 above. In quote below.

I highly doubt the gas to that actuating pilot flame is turned off by the flames adjusting set screw located behind thermostat dial.
Above is a more common location. Not the only location. However, to verify exact location I would need a photo or two inserted into your next reply. Or one may be attached or posted on a photo web site. If on another photo site, provide link please.

You did not call Magic Chefs customer service # yet?...

Number provided above. Might also be a good idea to try that also...

BTW:
FYI Note:
Photo insertion into reply post can only be done in reply advanced more. Not in quick reply....:NO NO NO: