Kenmore Oven/Broiler Won't Ignite

Old 11-20-12, 10:13 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Oven/Broiler Won't Ignite

Kenmore Gas Oven Model# 790. 78779405

I recently tiled my kitchen floor (thanks to all who gave me advice on that!) and had to move the oven out while completing the project. When I put the oven back in and reconnected everything I discovered that both the oven and the broiler no longer light. The igniter glow bars for the oven and the broiler both turn on and glow, and the stove-top works just fine, I just can't seem to get the glow bars to actually ignite any gas for the oven or broiler.

I've been reading some other posts about this issue and it seems the common consensus would be to replace the igniter glow bars. I was just thinking that it seems too coincidental for both the oven and broiler igniters to go out at the exact same time.

I did have some difficulty putting the oven back into its cubby because it's an incredibly tight fit. The only way I could finally get it in was to stand in front of it, reach my hands around and grab the panel supports, and tilt it towards me while shoving it backwards with my legs.

I'm worried that I was too rough doing that and messed something else up that will be more costly to fix. I hope not but was wondering what you all think.
Thanks for all your help

Also, although I can't see it or really prove it, I feel like I got the gas connector bunched up and smashed between the oven and the wall. Not sure if that's a problem or not, and I really don't know if it could be avoided...not a lot of wiggle room.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-21-12, 12:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,019 Votes on 946 Posts
If the ignitors come on and glow then they are not at fauit. It sounds like a gas delivery problem. Air in line, pinched line, shutoff valve not turned all the way back on.

Old 11-28-12, 08:52 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Igniters have an amperage range to work properly, just because they glow doesn't mean they will open the valve. Do you have the ability to take an amp read?
Norton 3.2-3.6 amps volts at valve 3.03-3.3
Carborundum 2.5-3.0 amps volts at valve 3.3-4.0

you can look at the oven gas valve and you will see this same info on the valve. Some include a picture of the igniter. Norton's are Flat - Carborundum are Round, one exception is flat with a blue band