Whirlpool oven won't light

Old 11-25-12, 07:32 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Whirlpool oven won't light

Hi! I just bought a whirlpool stove. Older. (SF316PESNO on sticker but I could only find parts under SF316PESWO). Oven worked when I went to look at it. when I got it home it didn't work. I didn't feel right taking it back since it did work there. So any way it has the pilot flame when I turn on the oven. ( ignitor lit). I replaced the thermocouple/gas valve. That didn't work. I replaced the pilot assembly. No Go. I heated the thermo with propane and the oven lit for a few seconds. After checking out trouble shooting info I took another look at the pilot flame. When I turn the oven on and up, the pilot light doesn't get bigger and shoot down on the thermocouple sensor. So could it be the Oven control or the solenoid? Also, the clock doesn't work but it didnt when I first looked at the stove so I don't think there is a problem there. And the solenoid is on all the time. When I plug and unplug the stove it clicks loudly. Is this normal? Very energy consuming if it is. Has anybody had this problem with their whirlpool oven? I've worked on ovens before but never come across a problem like this one. What's the salution??

Read more: http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...#ixzz2DFUImOhx

Sponsored Links
Old 11-25-12, 10:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,042 Votes on 966 Posts
Your link doesn't work.

Which solenoid are you referring to ?
I can't find either model number listed

Old 11-26-12, 06:05 AM
B
Hey PJmax, thanks for answering.
I should have said solenoid gas valve. It's under the top on the far right hand side. It is hooked up to the small gas line between the oven control and the pilot assembly. I believe the part no. is 4179103, I got it from Appliance Pro schematic. I put in the SF316PESWO mod. no. in the search and was able to pull up the schematic. Although, the schematic doesn't show things in their right spots. I sure hope you can help me. Didn't have an oven for thanksgiving and now Christmas is coming.

Old 11-26-12, 10:14 PM
Group Moderator
I still haven't been able to locate a schematic for your unit....Parts list...no problem.

If you have a schematic.....post it or a link to it.

Old 11-27-12, 06:13 AM
B
HI
The only way I can guide you is for you to go to www.appliance pros .com enter SF316PESWO into SEARCH and go there. Then click the model no. where it says "narrow your choices. The schematics should then pop up. thanks

Old 11-27-12, 08:31 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello bojake and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and the Gas Appliances topic.

Results I got for model number you provided is:

"SF316PESNO" PartsShow Repair Help for Range/Stove/OvensSome parts shown are not for your product. Your model number was incomplete and so we’re showing parts for a similar model.
Results for part SF316PESWO was:

"SF316PESWO" PartsShow Repair Help for Range/Stove/OvensSome parts shown are not for your product. Your model number was incomplete and so we’re showing parts for a similar model.
Summation:
Unable to find. Recheck the model and serial numbers and correct if and where necessary.

Questions:
What type fuel or which fuel type was being used at location you seen it at??? Before you moved it??? Nat Gas or Propane???? If you're using a different fuel type that could be or maybe the cause(s) for the condition described.

Unless I missed something......in your original posted question? Very difficult to read it since it is all one HUGE paragraph. Not paragraphed for each description,......etc.

Have you visited in person your local appliance parts retail store??? Suggestion. Do so and bring a photo of the Mfg's sticker and or product label.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Might be amazed what doing so reveals. Counter persons often can provide far more help and advice then any on line site will ever be able to provide or you find on line. Having done so days ago, likely hood the problem(s0 would have already been determined and resolved. IMO.

Old 11-27-12, 03:52 PM
B
I pulled
SF316PESWO up on www. appliance parts pro.com. It ran on nat gas. My questions are, since the pilot light doesn't get bigger and shoot down on the thermo couple, what is the problem? Oven control? Gas valve solenoid? And is the gas valve solenoid supposed to be on all the time? A repairman would have to drive 60 miles round trip for a diagnosis. With his travel, back and forth twice, labor and parts cost I might as well buy a new stove. I don't want to if I don't have to. I already have money in this one. I just thought I could get some answers on this forum. Sorry about the first post being so random. Writing is not my forte. lol
Also, SF316PESNO is the model no. on my stove. The appliance store couldn't find it either. they got the pilot assembly and safety valve from SF316PESWO model since my old parts matched up. So SF316PESWO is what I'm going with. And thanks for taking your time to deal with me.

Old 11-28-12, 08:37 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Are you able to post pictures? I think the solenoid might be for the timer. It sounds like you have a hydraulic oven valve. Meaning the pilot has a small flame until you turn on the thermostat and then it becomes larger and heat the capillary tube, that is not a thermocouple. as the cap tube is heated the liquid inside expands and opens the gas valve. If this is indeed the system, two items tend to go wrong. The pilot orifice becomes restricted or the thermostat fails to allow more pilot gas to pass. Make sure the pilot adjust on the thermostat is on nat not LP. Hope this info matches your range. Whew

Old 11-29-12, 07:29 AM
B
Hello mbk3. I can't get into photobucket for some reason today to get a picture out. will try later. So are you saying the oven control sends a signal to the solenoid to make the pilot light bigger? I put a new pilot assembly and safety valve on the stove before realizing the pilot light didn't get bigger. $$$ so it shouldn't be a dirty orifice in the pilot.. I don't get why the gas valve solenoid is always on. Timer is supposed to be off. Would a bad oven control keep the solenoid on?

Old 11-29-12, 07:34 AM
Group Moderator
I would say yes...... the oven control controls the relay. I can not confirm for sure because I can't locate an actual electrical schematic for your unit.

Old 12-02-12, 07:47 AM
B
OK. The thermostat controls the solenoid valve, but does the solenoid have power all of the time? I can stand there and hear the solenoid buzzing without burner or oven controls turned on. This is what really bugs me.

Old 12-02-12, 12:42 PM
Group Moderator
Can't help you with that.

Old 12-03-12, 06:06 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts

Hello: BoJake

The safety device is very likely to be a "Fluid Safety." May also be a "Flame Switch." A Flame Switch or Fluid Safety is one that contains a fluid. Not the same as a thermocouple that generates small amount of electrical power when heated.

When larger actuating flame (Visible Larger Flame) heats "Fluid" switch safety, (the bulb like element) internal fluid expands and pushes an internal pin. That pin in turn then closes an electrical contact switch and the burner then lights up.

A Flame safety is electrical. Must have power to operate. When the actuating flame is not present, the fluid is not expanded. Meaning internal fluid inside the element is not under pressure of heat by the larger actuating flame.

Not exact sure which is on the stove/range you have without seeing it via a photo.

>However, you should be able to visually see it.<

Here is how. Look in back of burner compartment.

Follow the tube (wire) like extension from the element. If the end of the safety element is attached with screws onto back wall near burner (will have three >3< screws attaching silver colored half dollar sized round looking device) then it's a flame switch. It's an electrical device.

If the element screws into the gas control valve, it's a "FLUID" safety and not an electrical flame switch.

Hope the above helps you to determine which type of safety device is installed into the range/stove appliance. You can then inform us with specific details what you see.

The sticky note also contains info on both types of safety devices used in ovens.

Old 12-03-12, 04:20 PM
B
Thanks all! I guess it's time to break down and get another range. After everybody's input I believe it's the oven control. And guess what? 4157211 No longer available. Oh well, I was starting to stress a little and that takes the fun outa things. This is a great forum! I know I'll visit it again on some project.