GE GAS COOKTOP igniter problem

Old 01-29-01, 10:13 PM
Visiting Guest
My GE gas cooktop igniter keeps clicking even when the burner is lit. This happens more after we have cleaned the grates and burner tops. I have dried everything with a towel. Do I need to dry things in the oven? Sometimes the clicking stops after some time and sometimes it starts up randomly. Do I need to clean the electrodes? How? With sandpaper or some chemical cleaner? What else will solve this problem? Thanks for any help.

Old 01-30-01, 07:54 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb

Hi:ajitphoto

Pipe cleaners work very well for cleaning stove top ignitors. Do not use any type of liquid cleaner, sandpaper, etc. in them.

Often times moisture collects on the sparker switches located on the gas valves. These are under the stoves top cover. They should have clear plastic covers on them but may not based on the stoves are.

To dry the moisture out of the switches, unplug the stove first. Then remove the knobs and lift the cover. Remove those clear plastic covers if equipped. Use a hairdryer to blow warm air onto the switches to warm them up and dry them out.

Be sure the electrical cord is plugged directly into a 3 wire grounded wall recepticle. The cord must not plugged into a two wire extension cord. <IE the appliance must be grounded thru the orginal cord.>

Check the archives in this forum for other postings with this same problem for more information.

If all this fails, the electronic spark modual may be defective and need replacement. Contact the local appliance service company that services the brand name.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: