GE Hotpoint gas range won't light

Old 12-15-12, 12:34 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry GE Hotpoint gas range won't light

Alright, I'm about to give up on this project, so I'm turning to you lovely people for help. I have a GE Hotpoint gas range (model #rgb745gev3wh) that will not light. So far, I have replaced both igniters (broiler and bottom), continuity checked the safety valve, both new igniters, and everything works on paper. As soon as I plug it back in and turn on the gas, nothing happens. No glow from the igniters, no gas being released. But! The burners still operate just fine. Is there anything else I can do short of ripping the entire thing apart to check for faulty wiring?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-16-12, 07:12 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Deftin and Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic.

At this point, changing parts suspecting each is causing the problem resulted in failure. Nothing new nor anything not tried in the past. But does show changing parts without knowing exactly what part(s) are the cause wastes time, money and causes frustrations.

Let's try this method. You'll need to work safely here and be handy with a volt/ohm meter. If you one. If not you'll need one. Set dial to a selection in A/C volts to a setting slightly above house line voltage. 120-140 volts A/C.

Leave range plug in the power outlet. Remove quick disconnect lead or wire terminals. Be sure neither, depending on which type they are does not or due not come into contact with anything. Test for current while control set to on and temp set to begin the oven heating cycle.

Need to first establish electrical power to igniter(s). If there is none, have to trace back the source and determine why there is no current to glow igniter(s). (HSI's). While doing so look for a fuse which might be in-line from power source to controls or from controls to HSI(s).

Some appliances use a fuse(s) while others do not.

Sticky note on appliances mentions these are special fuses used only for appliances. Additional Advice and Information Here: Read the Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Informational Sticky Note, in this forums topic, for more detailed information.

Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information, Fault Codes & Mfg's Web Site Links http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be also. They will need the make, model an serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.