DCS CT-365SS gas stove top; advice on transformer and replacing gas lines

Old 12-17-12, 01:08 PM
D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DCS CT-365SS gas stove top; advice on transformer and replacing gas lines

Hi.

I have a DCS CT-365SS. Last week all the igniters stopped working and also the lights on the control bezels would not illuminate.

I've taken it apart before when I had to replace the 5x igniter unit and also for cleaning. I wasn't expecting any issues.

However three of the venturis had seized into the jet holders and I managed to break the center jet holder and pretzel the gas line going to the (center) burner.

There is a small locking notch in the hanger that the jet holder locks into which is supposed to stop it rotating but the center jet holder broke in two pieces (cheap pot metal) allowing the whole assembly to rotate and I also noticed that the locking tab on the rear left jet holder broke off so even though that jet holder is still ok, nothing prevents it from rotating in the hanger.

Also the brass ends on the front left and rear left pilot tubes are seized and won't turn. I think the tube is somehow bent inside them.

I ordered from DCS:
rear left: main tube, pilot tube and jet holder
middle: main tube and jet holder (I think pilot tube is ok)
front left: pilot tube (I think main tube is ok)

I noticed that the front right main gas tube is entering the jet holder at an odd angle, I'm not sure if the jet turned causing this. I've not looked at this yet, I hope it's ok.

I was going to use some anti-seize on the venturis to try and avoid this happening again.

My main concern is verifying there are no leaks when replacing the lines. Any tips?

As far as the transformer is concerned, I have 120VAC at the inputs but the two white outputs (one goes to the wire nut, other to ground) reads 0V. I assume this should read 230VAC.

I ordered a replacement transformer from DCS (latest part# 240144) but it's on back order until after Christmas. $23.80. I was surprised at the prices as sears parts direct was coming up with 200% of the price DCS charged me.

Total for everything was $118 plus freight.

Any advice welcomed. Thaks.

Some pics:

main unit

hanger w/ locking notch

venturi tube

Rear left with pilot (seized) and main (missing brass sealing grommet) replacements ordered for both

Front left with pilot (seized) and main (seems good). Replacement pilot tube ordered

Center with pretzeled main tube and pilot (seems good). Replacement main tube ordered

Transformer

Old 12-17-12, 09:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,163 Likes on 2,842 Posts
Interesting......a lot of frozen parts. A lot of issues from a high end unit

That transformer is interesting too. 120 > 240 vac ?

I sometimes wonder about F & P engineering.

Old 12-17-12, 11:31 PM
D
Pre F&P buyout of DCS. I think it's from 2002. If you read the online reviews it gets poor reviews.

It's really painful to clean. When cleaning if you get the igniters wet they have to dry out for several hours otherwise they will spark on all burners even after the flame is lit. I'm not sure if this is a DCS only issue as I thought I'd seen the same 230v 5-way igniter unit used on other brands -- but yeah, I was surprised it's all running on 230v.

The thing that really annoys me is that the knob bezels have this thin blue piece that goes over the indicator bulb but it's so fragile that if you have to remove the knob bezel for some reason it'll break and there is no way to replace without buying an entire new knob/bezel. In 8 years I've had to replace all the knobs twice.

The reason everything seized is because I think of how we've been cleaning it lately. There is nothing to prevent water getting under the burners and into the venturi tube/jet holder. One is brass, other cheap steel of some kind and dissimilar metals like to seize up.

I'm not sure if other brands have a better way of keeping water out ?

For this repair mostly I'm worried that I'll have some form of gas leak after I replace all the tubes but I guess it will be post control valve.

We're thinking of maybe renting the house out and if we do, we'll have to replace this unit as it's just so fragile, mostly the igniters not liking to work after cleaning.

Old 08-27-13, 03:22 PM
D
I forgot I'd not replied to this.

I got everything buttoned back up. New transformer fixed issue although it was larger and so I had to drill new mounting holes.

I got a good tip from DCS (their tech support is very helpful) which was to use two pencils with eraser ends to seal each burner outlet, then drop soapy water onto each fitting to check for leaks. Easy and worked well.

Old 08-27-13, 09:35 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,163 Likes on 2,842 Posts
Thanks for the update. As witnessed by the page views this thread received a lot of attention.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: