Magic Chef 31203pav sealed gas range burner questions

Old 12-28-12, 09:57 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smile Magic Chef 31203pav sealed gas range burner questions

Over the years, one by one, the burners stopped clicking and lighting on their own. Now none self ignite, but I can light with a flame.

Three burners have a large lick of flame that come from the large hole on the side of the burners. This makes cooking difficult and burns pans in one spot. One burner has no problem.

Can the solution be as simple as cleaning the burners? If so, how do I do this on this model? I do not have a lot of experience with this type of thing. Would it require turning off the gas and possibly an electrical supply?

Magic Chef 31203pav sealed gas range burner

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-12, 06:53 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello bjay100. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Three burners have a large lick of flame that come from the large hole on the side of the burners. This makes cooking difficult and burns pans in one spot. One burner has no problem.
Not exactly sure what you mean by 'large hole' on the side of the burner. Kindly elaborate with more details. Photos, if possible. One with a view of the hole and one with the flame. More if possible. Pictures say a thousand words.

Next item is the sparkers. Not likely due they not spark as a result of holes in the burner heads. More likely as a result of the sparkers being burnt as a result of the large flames at the ignition ports or a defective spark module or burnt wires maybe. Or defective spark switches located on top of the valve knob stems, etc.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be also. They will need the make, model an serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

"Be sure the electrical power and the gas supply to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever the appliance is moved and/or a repair includes any connection of a gas part."

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Maytag Appliance Home Page:
Maytag | Kitchen, Laundry & Home Appliances
Maytag 1-800-688-9900 USA
Maytag 1-800-688-2002 Canada
Maytag is also the maker of Amana, Jenn-Air, Magic Chef and Caloric Appliances.

Old 12-29-12, 10:24 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Here are pictures of what I mean. The hole in the burner is not a defect, it's the regular hole. The lick of flame comes out of that hole. When I turn the burner off, it's the last part of the flame to extinguish, by many seconds. Even when on low, the flame can wrap around my pans and set grease on fire.

My stove is a cheap, no frills model. I am hoping many of the problems can be resolved with just a good cleaning, but I can't figure out how to remove the burners and not sure if that would require turning off an power or gas.

If repair is required, I may be better off with a new stove, however I would have to save up for another. Was hoping I could fix this one.

Attached Images   
Old 12-30-12, 06:34 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts

Hi: bjay100

Thanks for posting the two pictures. Have to disagree. That hole is not OEM. The hole is a burn hole burnt through the burner head. Or a part like the ignition port is missing. Did not come that way originally as a new burner. Verify the difference between this damaged burner head and the other 3.

2 choices for a fix.
Replace that burner head with an new OEM part or plug the hole, if it is not used as an ignition port. Be aware, plugging the hole is not an approved method of repair but I sense you're not able and/or willing to replace the burner head nor want to invest a lot more money into the appliance. Also, to plug the hole will require burner head removal to ensure job done correctly.

Another solution may be to simply just not use that burner until times are better and you're able to replace the entire appliance. Also upon personal appliance usage and overall conditions and/or the rest of the appliances condition.