Oven in Gas Range Stopped Working

Old 01-02-13, 02:28 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oven in Gas Range Stopped Working

I have an older Frigidaire Gas Range. Symptom: Press Bake Temp, turn knob to set temp, the temp display immediately zeroes out (not normal behavior for this range) and in 5 seconds turns off oven.

I've replaced ignitors in the past and the symptom was different. With a bad ignitor, the display didn't zero out, it just sat there with "100" displayed, waiting to get warmer but the gas valve never opens. Since the symptoms were different, I asked at a repair shop for advice and was told the controller (timer/clock/etc) was bad. I swapped it out with a refurbished (range too old for a new one) controller and found the exact same symptoms and oven still doesnt work. So controller isn't bad.

Does anyone have an idea of what could cause this problem?

Thanks in advance,
J

Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-13, 05:06 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,019 Votes on 946 Posts
Since I don't have the model number to look up the unit......I'm going to take a guess and say the oven temperature sensor is defective.

Old 01-02-13, 06:15 PM
J
The model# is Frigidaire GPG34BNW3.

Old 01-02-13, 11:55 PM
Group Moderator
turn knob to set temp
Is there an actual knob to set temperature ? In the picture of the board I only see pushbuttons.
If it is a knob....where is it on the unit ?

In the newer versions of this oven a code of F3 would signify a temp sensor problem.

You would need a multimeter to check the temp sensor.
It should read around 1100 ohms at room temperature.
It could also have an issue where it plugs into the wiring harness in the back of the oven.

Part # 15 is the temp sensor probe.
Body parts for Frigidaire GPG34BNW3 - AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 01-03-13, 05:38 AM
J
Thanks for your response. Yes, this model has a single knob, upper right of control panel. Everything else is push buttons but the knob is used for adjusting temp, timer, clock, etc. I haven't gotten the F3 code but I did force an F10 by holding the Bake Temp button in for a long time.

I don't have a mulitmeter but can get one. Does testing the sensor require power to the range? I could swap this part out but that's $50 that could be for nothing. On the other hand, my only other option is a new range for more than 10X that amount.

Old 01-03-13, 06:55 PM
J
Solved

The problem did indeed end up being the sensor. I tested and got no continuity (infinite resistance). Went to parts store and had them test sensor as well to confirm. Bought new sensor, installed, have a working oven again! I wish I hadn't gotten bad advice to change the controller but I'm glad to have the oven fixed. I never did get F3 errors or any errors for what it's worth.

Thanks PJmax, for replying and assisting.

- J

Old 01-03-13, 07:52 PM
Group Moderator
The board you put in is a rebuilt board since the new ones have been out of production for a while. Some had the F3 code available. No rhyme or reason which had it.

Is there a core charge to send the old board back ? Maybe they have a short supply and would take yours. Wouldn't hurt to check.

Glad you found the problem so quickly

Old 01-04-13, 07:29 AM
J
Once I realized the controller board wasn't the problem, I reinstalled the original. They will take back their refurbished controller minus a restocking fee. Between that fee, shipping and the cost of the new sensor I have a working range and didn't have to replace it at 6X the cost.