Need to plug a hole in my gas range


Old 02-10-13, 11:44 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: USA
Posts: 1
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Need to plug a hole in my gas range

One valve on my gas range broke and I cannot find a replacement part. I took out the part and put a plug into it. Initially there were soap bubbles, but after putting it back, the bubbles have stopped.

Questions I have:

1. Is this an ok procedure if I dont see bubbles?
2. Should I use Teflon tape and try again?
3. Should I use some type of joint compound?

Also the store had normal brass plugs and flared plugs. Is there any advantage of using either?
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-13, 05:42 AM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 10,440
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello hassanalam. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

If you're referring to plugging the threaded hole in the gas manifold where the gas valve was threaded into, screwing a steel 1/4 inch threaded screw plug with some thread compound on the threads will work. That's an acceptable method to replace a gas valve that is removed. No leaks will result once the plug is threaded into the hole and tightened up.

You said you can't find a replacement part? Meaning a new gas valve? Have you taken the removed one to a local appliance parts store? If not, might be a good idea to do so. If you had called a service repair agent, what would they have done? Same as you can due. Use a replacement type and or style if the OEM valve is not available. Do as they would due.

Retail appliance parts dealers can determine what the possible replacement part might be or may be also. They will need the make, model an serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

"Be sure the electrical power and the gas supply to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever the appliance is moved and/or a repair includes any connection of a gas part."

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: