gas dryer doesn't heat up

Old 02-04-01, 05:37 PM
Visiting Guest
I used to have an electric dryer. Recently, I decided to switch to a gas dryer. My laundry room does not have a gas line so I had one installed. I bought a Kenmore elite and had it hooked up. When I try to use it, it ignites but does not heat up to the desired temperature.
What can be going wrong? Is there not enough gas coming out? Or is there a certain voltage that I need for the gas dryer? Please help...

Old 02-04-01, 07:01 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb Restricted Exhaust Vent

Hello:wet clothes

I like the screen name...wet clothes. Very creative...

The most likely cause is the exhaust vent is restricted. Could be a ball of prior lint has gotten loose during the change over and is clogged up some where in the line.

It could also be a kink or tight bend in the exhaust tubing vent line during the change over. Both plastic and metal types can be kinked or bent too much causing a restriction. Usually this is caused by the dryer being pushed back too far against the wall.

It's possible but not likely there is a reduced gas flow <restriction> in the newly installed gas line. Check and be sure the shut off valve on the supply pipe is opened fully.

If all the above are correct, contact the dryer installers and have them return and check whatever they are allowed to. Some installers only connect and do no problem checking services.

In that case, you may need to contact the local gas company and inquire if they do any servicing or gas houseline checking. If they do, they may be able to locate it or advise you of a restriction. Most gas company services personal do not do any repairs on gas houselines.

May need to contact the plummber who installed the gas line too. He/she may need to verify that the line is free and clear of any obstructions and the supply volumn is correct.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: