Kenmore oven problem

Old 02-04-01, 06:23 PM
mawmaw
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Each time I turn my oven dial on there is a delay before the pilot lights. There is a strong smell of gas in the meantime and when it does catch(make take a few times) there is a loud noise. It then heats up fine. What is the problem? It has done this for years.

Old 02-04-01, 08:13 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thumbs down Delayed Ignition

Hi:mawmaw

The condition you discribed is called delayed ignition.
This is a serious condition that could cause an explosion that could esaily blow the entire oven door off plus cause major internal oven damage.

There are usually two causes for the condition but may be caused by several other problems. The first major problem could be a restricted crossover ignition port. This is usually a condition found on burners made of aluminum.

The burner lites on one side closest to the pilot, then has to crossover to the other side of the burner via a slot. The slot is usually found on the burner tubes underside or some are on the top side.

This slot either becomes corroded or reduced in size from rust or extreme heat over the years. The only solution is to replace the burner tube or clear the slot with a thin blade.

Another cause is a misalighed burner in relation to the pilot. What this means is either the pilot is too far from the burner or it may even be too small to provide positive ignition.

Both these conditions need to be checked and determined which it is and corrected professionally. I suggest you have the appliance service company or the local gas supply company's service person attend to this matter as sonn as possible.

The above information is based on the assumption it's the burner that doesn't lite quickly. If it's only a spark ignition that lites a pilot that delays in lighting, it wouldn't likely be making a loud noise and the amount of gas odor detected until it does lite isn't really all that much.

In any case stated above, have it professionaly serviced to correct the condition at your earliest possible convenience.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: