Gas oven repair

Old 02-04-01, 07:07 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

I have a 20 year old gas oven made by Gaffers & Sattler (no. I've never heard of them, either.) that will not light. The range top is fine but I cannot get the oven working. All was fine until the gas was turned off for a line repair. Once the repair was done and the pilots re-lit the oven would not work. I have tried heating what I think is the thermocouple with a lighter but have had no sucess. As I've stated, gas is getting to the pilot lite in the oven but that's all. The burner will not light. Is there something that I am missing or should I call a repairman? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Old 02-04-01, 08:31 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Safety Reset Button

Hi:wingman58

Many of the G and S stoves of that vintage have a safety reset button that has to be pushed in and let out in order to rest the safety device.

If the pilot is ON and the oven fails to lite, look for the reset button. On single oven models the button may be located in the pot storage compartment to the left. It will be located about a hands depth deep on the right side.

Another location for the reset button is under the stove top cover. You'll have to remove the burner grates, lift the lid and the button will be on the same side as the oven and just behind the back top burner.

OH YEAH! Almost forgot to mention this. The reset buttons are RED in color and about the size of a nickel.

BTW: Your correct. The part being heated by the pilot flame is a thermocouple. Same as the type used on gas water heaters, except the oven type is much longer in length.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: