>BBQ< SS Baffle Plates

Old 04-21-13, 10:00 PM
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
>BBQ< SS Baffle Plates

I have noticed that all new gas BBQ's coming with these SS baffle plates on top of the burners and remember a few years back they used to have the burners covered only with these bricket like stones.

What was wrong with the bricket like stones and they switched to these SS baffle plates?

Personally I prefer the bricket like stones

Old 04-22-13, 05:00 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,153 Upvotes on 1,928 Posts
I think it's partially a style difference but I do like the V shaped steel pieces. The old lava rocks would collect grease and flare/flame up. Then the ceramic brickets came out. They had the shape of charcoal and did not hold grease like lava rock. I think Weber was the big one to first move to steel V shaped pieces over the burner. They evened out the heat and grease just dripped down and around creating nice barbecue smoke with less flaming.

Old 04-22-13, 06:13 AM
Thanks for the insight Pilot Dane

Yes the old "lava rocks" and the "ceramic brickets" I used to like them and you are right they used to flare up.

I have a small BBQ with 2 burners which we don’t use it that much and they only problem I find with the V shape plates is they rust / melt away too soon. In about 8 years I had to replace them once and at about $45 for the replacement they are expensive. Now instead of replacing them again (should have done it 2 years ago) I plan to get a new BBQ for $90 and was looking to find one with lava rocks instead of the V shape plates.

But I guess that’s progress? and got to go along with it

Much appreciate your time

Old 04-22-13, 10:11 AM
P
Group Moderator
Then your V plates are not stainless steel. I had a similar problem with our fancy stainless steel barbecue from Costco. Looked great on the outside but the burners and V plates were carbon steel which rusts. I replaced the burners with stainless steel a couple years ago and now they are holding up fine. When I checked both carbon steel (rusts) and stainless steel were available but stainless is more expensive.

Old 04-22-13, 12:52 PM
Actually I could not find ones for mine and the store guy told me they only have these "fits all" ones which you are right they aren't SS (just looks like it) and they only fit well on one side and on the other side had to make something up to hold them in place. Never had a problem with my burners though

Oh well guess have to live with that; perhaps if I was going for a bigger unit they may have SS plates but as I mentioned we don’t use it a lot + there is not enough space in the patio to squeeze one

Thanks again

Old 04-22-13, 01:49 PM
P
Group Moderator
Take one of your V plates to a metal working or welding shop. They are not that big and can probably be made from scrap stainless material lying around. If you catch them at the right time and smile you might get them made for free or a very reasonable price. If not a six pack and good attitude on a Friday afternoon can get a lot done for free.

Old 04-22-13, 03:28 PM
LOL... a six pack will be much better

I do have such a place close by which I used them before, I will buy a new BBQ unit and take the new V plate to them to make it in real SS. Sound a good idea

Thanks

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: