propane whirlpool super capacity 465 issues

Old 04-30-13, 10:31 AM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
propane whirlpool super capacity 465 issues

so we bought a propane range for our yurt- very nice whirlpool 465 used- we were told when we bought it that it was already on propane instead of natural gas. we now have it hooked up and are seeing large flames. the simmer was up way to high and we turned that down with the little screwdriver in the front underneath the control knobs- but we still get orange flames on all the burners when it's on high- and they seem much too high to be correct. how do we know for sure that it is in fact on propane and not natural gas. we had just bought the regulators for the propane tank for it so we were thinking maybe the regulators are bum (although we dont feel that is too likely) if it is still on natural gas, from my researc hit doesnt seem as though it's too difficult to switch out the components to make it correct but it didnt come with a user manual. any help is greatly appreciated

Old 05-01-13, 12:32 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,328 Upvotes on 2,987 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Yurt huh

Your unit requires the orfices to be changed for fuel conversion. In the link below is the manual for your unit. Pages 16 and 17 address the conversion process.

WHIRLPOOL 465 USER MANUAL

Old 05-01-13, 08:38 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hello dkritina. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Excuse me a moment, what is a Yurt????......... Kindly describe and clarify. Not fimilar with that type of home living structure.

we were told when we bought it that it was already on propane instead of natural gas
Told by whom? ???

Private party sale or purchased through a used appliance retailer???

Clarify above please. Help us help you...

If appliance was purchased privately, (news paper, yard sale etc.) you where mis-lead....

If purchased through a used appliance dealer at a retail store, call them up and have them replace the orifices. Stove with flame conditions described indicate orifices are either still Nat gas orifices or not adjusted (closed down) to propane. Propane orifices have much smaller holes then those of natural gas.

>>>Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be also.

Last edited by Sharp Advice; 05-06-13 at 06:00 AM.
Old 05-01-13, 12:13 PM
D
so the orfices already say LP on them and you can see on the other side where it says NAT- the orfice seem to already be right- how would one go about changing the amount of oxygen in them? the flame is right on simmer now but not on high- like it's getting too much air flow. just confused- should i start by looking in the oven as far as that component goes? and what about hte emitters?

Old 05-01-13, 12:17 PM
D
and we were told bu private party- she had bought it from a person who lives in rural community where everything is on propane and not nat gas- she bought it htinking she would just switch it over herself and then when she called to find the price they quoted her like 300 and she decided just to get a stove that was already on nat gas instead of switching it over and paying again. i donthtink that it's that expensive if you do it yourself and i dont feel like it would be too hard either- think i should just go buy the pices and start over to know for sure?
a yurt is a round movable dwelling first used by the nomad monogolians on the steppes. they have become very popular recently in the western civilaztion...living in the round and it is amazing

Old 05-01-13, 03:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,328 Upvotes on 2,987 Posts
Did you check the regulator to see if it's set correctly ?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: