Gas Dryer problem

Old 06-17-13, 05:42 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Dryer problem

Hello, we have an Electrolux front loading dryer, about 2 years old, a ladies stocking got stuck on something underneath the tumbler so the MACHINE started making a noise and the tumbler would not turn smoothly, my mom said when she heard the noise and opened the door the filter which is located just behind the door and in front of the tumbler was pulled out of the filter's slot somehow and got mixed in with the clothes and the stocking fell into the filter's slot and that is how it got udnerneath the tumlber and got caught in what feels like a fan blade or something, looking at the this online documentation here:

https://kenmoreconnect.com/display_p...2FL0811282.pdf

I think the stocking may be caught in the "blower" located underneath the tumbler? You can view the blower on page 7 in the document above. What is confusing is if the stocking is caught in the blower then why would the tumbler itself not spin smoothly? Also, I tried but cannot find a dissaembly repair guide for this anywhere online?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-13, 06:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 265 Votes on 248 Posts
The other problem is the hooks on bras catch the screens

Mike.....your link doesn't take us to a useable page.
We need the model number for your unit. Are you mechanically inclined ?

You will be pulling the machine apart to get to the blower.
The blower wheel is connected directly to one side of the motor and the belt for the drum is driven from the other end of the motor. That's why the stocking in the blower is messing with the tumbling action.

I wouldn't run the dryer until the article of clothing is removed.

Old 06-18-13, 03:31 AM
The other problem is the hooks on bras catch the screens
Thanks for the info, that should explain the mystery of how the lint filter screen got uprooted out of it's slot? Sorry about the link when I click on it, it works, please try below again. Anyway, the model is EIGD55HIW2. I'm a pc tech and my friend is an Electrician, I see no reason why we can't get this done, I will attempt this in the afternoon today, main problem I having is dissassembly instructions, I am seeing some screws at the back so I guess I will have to start from there.

Old 06-18-13, 09:05 AM
Group Moderator
The following link is for motor replacement but is very close for what you are doing.
Drive Motor Replacement (part #131560100) - Frigidaire Dryer Repair - YouTube

You can also use the sears link for exploded views of the machine.
Sears parts /Electrolux/Model-EIGD55HIW2

Old 06-18-13, 09:28 AM
Name:  IMG_20130618_122138.jpg
Views: 545
Size:  28.0 KBName:  IMG_20130618_122146.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  24.3 KBName:  IMG_20130618_122159.jpg
Views: 501
Size:  17.1 KBHmnn, our front load system is not built like that one in the video, please see attached pics, I am being told ours need to start stripping from the "back" of the unit as I don't think this unit has the lift up top covers as in the video.

Attached Images  
Old 06-18-13, 10:16 AM
Group Moderator
Yup.....remove the back cover first. You may have access to blower from the back. I'm not totally sure on that machine.

Old 06-18-13, 10:44 AM
ok, will attemt in a while, and will elt you know how it goes, thanks!

Old 06-18-13, 03:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 17 Votes on 16 Posts
Take the top off (2 screw in back) Console comes off, than front, Don't think anything comes apart from back. Don't think you will find a access panel in back any more. That is a old video.

Old 06-18-13, 05:48 PM
Looks like we got it done guys, I mean we worked from the front by taking the top cover off and the entire front which exposed the fan inside the blower and we cut the stocking which was caught in the fan so it's spinning smoothly now. Problem is, what do we do to try to prevent this situation from happening again? Have the ladies here not wash their undergarments? I can't believe a manufacturer would make such a crappy design?

Old 06-18-13, 11:55 PM
Group Moderator
Good job

There isn't much you can do to stop it.

Old 06-19-13, 02:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Doesn't happen very often but I run into this 2 or 3 times a year.

Old 06-19-13, 03:25 AM
well, at least now we know what to do in the future for that situation, we had taken off the back cover which was a pain to remove and the gas lines and all the screws on the back, that was the major part of the work which was unnecessary, taking off the top cover and front would take no more than 10 minutes. Tell me this guys, a couple pieces of underwear had found their way all the way out the wall vent which means they slipped through the fan in the blower without getting caught in the fan? If so, how was that possible? Does this mean there is nothing between the back of the blower fan and the exhaust hose?

Old 06-19-13, 01:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
dON'T KNOW HOW IT GOT PAST BLOWER BUT there is nothing in tube after blower. (hate cap lock)

Old 01-02-15, 06:42 AM
New problem guys, now when I close the door it shows "door open", I called electrolux they told me to disconnect AC cord for a few minutes which I did and if that doesn't work then I will need to get it serviced to change the door lock mechanism or the control board and will need to get a servicer out here to determine which it is, anyway I can tell which of the two myself and can I repair this myself please?

This is the manual link: http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...mManualTabPage

Old 01-02-15, 12:03 PM
Also, for a long time now, the door seems to have been out of line or dropped a little as we would need to lift a little then close, whats the best way to line it back up so when we close the door no need to lift at all?

Old 01-02-15, 03:03 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Since the door is not aligned I would guess the door latch is broken. Same procedure to get to lock as blower. May be able to align door by lifting up on it when open. Can't remember how strong the hinges are on your machine.

Old 01-02-15, 03:25 PM
Well immediate problem is to know which part to order, the door switch or the control board?

Old 01-02-15, 04:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The only way to find out is to ohm door switch. Sometimes either taped to back or under top there is a tech sheet that will help. Have not worked to much on your type dryer.

Old 01-03-15, 04:22 AM
According to the link below, it suggests that it can be either the door latch or sensor so I am thinking I should order both of them since they are not expensive parts? I am not understanding about the "latch" situation, does this mean, that the latch is the door hinges has gone bad which is why the door got misaligned and now needs a new latch or hinge to have the door line up properly again or can the latch or hinge be reset by removing and reinstalling?

"Door is Open" error message on dryer display... | SearsPartsDirect

Old 01-03-15, 05:02 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I Read the post, the latch should be a plastic insert in door. Usually easy to see if broken and would not hold door closed. Switch should be a push button in door opening depending on dryer will have two or three wires and on how the button is pushed contacts will open and close. One wire will be neutral and will connect to other each wire connection. All should have continuity one in pushed position and one in open position.
Have seen latches broken from use and misaligned door.

Old 01-03-15, 07:37 AM
Here's where I'm at right now, suspecting the door sensor switch may be at fault, I have ordered it, will get it on Tuesday. Meantime I have to address the door closing issue. As mentioned, the door closes with just slight lift and locks, what I am finding out now is that the "latch" is located on the door itself and goes into the "catch" which is located on the machine itself so since the door locks into the catch I am guessing that's not our issue in any way? If so, then to have the door aligned back to normal, what would I be looking at, the door hinges?

Old 01-03-15, 07:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look at hinge if a heavy medal hinge you will need hinge, If a stamped medal hinge you may be able to lift up on door and re bend hinge. Open door and lift.

Old 01-04-15, 09:11 AM
Please see attached pic, I am not sure which option you mentioned will apply to this hinge?Name:  20150104_113610.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  34.5 KBName:  20150104_113610.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  34.5 KB

Old 01-04-15, 03:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
That is a heave medal hinge not a stamped sheet medal one, when you lift up on door is there any movement in hinge? If there is bushing are worn out and you need hinge.

Old 01-05-15, 05:34 AM
It's really extremely difficult to tell if when I apply a little pressure to lifting the door if it's the door itself is moving or if it's the hinge that's moving, there isn't much play at all when trying to lift the door up, I need to apply only a very light lift to close the door but this narrows it down I think so it be either the 'bushing" or hinge, I may need to order both to know for sure if those 2 things would be the only things at fault.

Also, I will be getting the door switch [sensor] tomorrow evening but I cannot find instructions anywhere on how to replace it, the manual only shows how to reverse the door, any idea where/how I might be able to find the replacement instructions please?

Old 01-05-15, 04:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
To replace the switch it's the same as getting to the blower but you don't have go all the way. Just take as much off to get to switch.

Old 01-06-15, 03:58 AM
Not sure I understand, if I remember correctly, our procedure to get to the blower involved first removing the entire back panel then top cover then the front, I had thought since this involves the door that I would need to work from the front, removing the door would give me access to that switch wherever it is, would I be able to access the switch by removing the door or would I need to go through the back and top then the front processes? Also, where would that switch be located on the left side where the latch and catch is or on the right behind the door hinge area please?

Old 01-07-15, 08:24 AM
It's ok, I got it, problem was the door switch. I did not have to remove the back panel which is the major work, I had to remove the top cover then the front cover then the filter assembly from the inside to get to remove the door assembly so I could get to the back of the switch, all in all an easy fix, only removed the top cover then the front, took about 1 hour, appreciate the help! Next step will be to work on the door issue.

Last edited by mikehende; 01-07-15 at 08:48 AM.