Kitchenaid gas range-top burner won't light.

Old 07-02-13, 08:17 PM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kitchenaid gas range-top burner won't light.

i have a Kitchenaid gas range oven, and one of the four burners is not lighting. I can see the ignition and i can light it with matchstick but its not lighting without match stick. Anyone knows whats the issue?

Old 07-02-13, 11:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,183 Likes on 2,858 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I moved your post to the gas appliance forum from the electric one. I also clarified your title for you.

I need you to find me a model number. It sounds like you may have a cracked spark electrode.

Old 07-03-13, 11:00 AM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure of the model no., but it says superba. Got it from previous owner

Old 07-09-13, 10:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,183 Likes on 2,858 Posts
Didn't want you to think I'd forgotten you.

Superba is just a trade name and doesn't lend itself to just one model. It's a product line.

Old 07-10-13, 05:38 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello Archana Sondhi. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

On stove top burners that have sparkers that are not visible at the burner head, the burner heads have ignition ports. If the sparkers are functioning and the burners won't lite, chances are the ignition ports are clogged or restricted.

Ignition ports are tiny holes up one side of the burner head. If these holes are restricted, they must be cleared out. Cleaning can be accomplished using one of three methods.

Focus attention on the ignition ports {Holes} up the sides of the burner heads and those around the circumference of the burner heads and clear out all debris in the holes {Ports} Doing so will allow the burners to light from the sparkers and or pilot flames.

Most often a sewing straight pin needle can be used. DO NOT enlarge the ignition holes. Doing so will have adverse burner lighting effects.

Burner heads where the flames will not burn completely around the entire circumference of the burner head, the holes which do not have flames are clogged up and need cleaning.

In cases of extremely dirty burner heads, soaking the burners in very hot water with plenty of dissolved automatic dishwasher detergent for several hours, rinsing and drying or a combination of both methods for heavily soiled burners.

If the sparkers fail to spark, test the electric switches located on the gas valves for continuity. There should not be any when the valves are off. Turn the switch on and there should be continuity. If not, you found a defective one.

Caution: Be sure to unplug the stove prior to testing.

To clean the sparkers, use a pipe cleaner. DO NOT attempt to bend any tabs if the sparkers have them. The part is very brittle and will crack the ceramic insulator and or the tip will break off.

More Info Here: Read section how to clean burners. Additional Advice and Information Here:
Read the Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Informational Sticky Note, in this forums topic, for more detailed information.

Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information, Fault Codes & Mfg's Web Site Links http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be also. They will need the make, model an serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

"Be sure the electrical power and the gas supply to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever the appliance is moved and/or a repair includes any connection of a gas part."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: