Whirlpool Duet Gas Dryer lights once, but won't light again

Old 07-17-13, 10:32 PM
L
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Duet Gas Dryer lights once, but won't light again

I have read many posts about issues. My wife called and told me that the dryer wouldn't get hot. I went out and bought the thermal fuse and replaced it. I cleaned out all of the lent inside the dryer and in the vent. The dryer started right up and i thought it was fixed.

Well I got a call the next day at work stating the dryer still didn't work. I took the vent tube out and ran the dryer bypassing the duct work. Again it worked fine at 1st. The flame last 3-5 minutes and shut down. The ignitor would glow, so in reading these posts, I figured it was the coils. So I replaced the coils and again it appeared to work only to do the exact same thing.

So I have replaced the thermal fuse and both coils. I also have it isolated from the duct work, so it should run but it doesn't.
The only thing that I noticed was the indicator light shows that it is "sensing" and doesn't go off. Would this be a moisture detector problem or something completely different.

Old 07-18-13, 03:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Please post model # In lower panel or taped to side there should be a tech sheet that will tell how to get in to test. Follow that and let us know.

Old 07-18-13, 07:19 AM
L
Model Number GGW9200LW1

The model number is GGW9200LW1. I will have to wait until I get back from work to run another test. Thanks.

Mark

Old 07-18-13, 04:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Dryer I though it was. Did you run it with the vent tube off? Coils was the first thing I though. Clogged vent usually will light, heat up quick, fire out , long pause and repeat cycle.

Old 07-18-13, 08:29 PM
L
I ran it with the vet tube off (there was a small two foot flexible connection still attached, and it was blowing freely). I couldn't find any testing procedures on the dryer.

I called the parts supply house where I got the coils and they said it might be a bad set of coils. I am going to take them back tomorrow and reinstall them. wish me luck.

If not, I am not sure what else to do. I ran the dryer and the sensor seemed to work, it showed on the display "wet".

It is trying to light, but no gas.

Old 07-18-13, 10:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,154 Likes on 2,834 Posts
So you are saying that it lights and heats the first time but the second time the ignitor comes on but it won't light. I'm assuming natural gas.

If you change the coils and have the same problem then you'll need to check for voltage at the gas valves.

Old 07-19-13, 02:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Trying to remember how to get to test. Try time dry up & down buttons up,down, up down 3 or 4 times . display should go to 00 or a code. Open door and should beep. wet finger and put it over the 2 sensor strips on lint screen front, should beep, If E1 or E2 comes up you have a bad thermistor. If can't get to test will try another way.

Old 07-20-13, 11:11 AM
L
Problem Solved

Did the test and the moisture sensor worked fine. I wanted to rule this out because the weekend was coming up and getting parts is much more difficult. Thanks for the help with this.

I then took the new coils back and exchanged them for a different pair. I put in the new coils and BINGO dryer works like a champ. That is the hardest thing to figure out when a part you think should fix it doesn't because the new part is bad.

Thanks everyone for helping.

Mark

Old 07-20-13, 11:15 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,154 Likes on 2,834 Posts
Glad you got to the bottom of it. Thanks for the update

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: