Jennair Pro Style Range - Lost Power

Old 07-22-13, 10:36 AM
T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jennair Pro Style Range - Lost Power

Our Jennair is a gas stove and electric oven, purchased in 2004. We were cooking on the stove last night when, all of a sudden, the range began beeping for about 30 seconds, and then stopped. Now the electric parts of the range are unworkable -- the oven, the lights and display, and the gas ignition spark.

I reset the circuit breaker for the house but this had no effect. All other electric outlets and appliances are working fine, so the problem appears to be within the range itself.

Did we blow a fuse or trip an internal circuit breaker? How could this have happened when the oven was not on?

Any guidance would be much appreciated.

Old 07-22-13, 08:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,194 Likes on 2,869 Posts
These units get some strange problems. Usually you would get a service code on the display.

Please post the model number for your unit.

Old 07-23-13, 12:36 PM
T
The complete model description is:
  • Jennair 30" Pro Style, Dual Fuel, Slide-In Range
  • Gas burners, electric oven
  • Downdraft exhaust

And, gas burners work fine. No electric power to the unit for the display, lights in the oven, or sparks for the burners. I've thoroughly checked the kitchen breakers and plugs, all are operational, so the problem is with the unit as best as I can tell.

Thanks for helping --

Old 07-23-13, 02:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts
Still will need model # description to general to help.

Old 07-23-13, 02:57 PM
T
Model: JDS9860AAP

Forgive us rookies but our instincts are to look on the paperwork and the outside of the unit. I found nothing, of course, until I removed the lower panel and got a magnifying glass.

Old 07-25-13, 07:43 PM
Group Moderator
Thank you for the model number. I just went over the service schematic. If you don't have at least the stove top ignitors then you have lost one leg of your 240vac supply or you have lost the neutral.

You will need to confirm at the wall plug. If ok......unplug unit from wall and open up junction box on range and see if there is a loose or burned connection. If you don't have a wall plug then turn power off and check inside junction box on range.

Old 07-26-13, 12:18 AM
T
Very good advice. At the terminal between the incoming 240V line there are two burned wires. See photo.

Name:  behind small panel 2 - Copy.jpg
Views: 4079
Size:  51.0 KB

I'm assuming this is the problem. Any advice on how to self-repair it?

Also, what would make a wire burn out? It would seem that components would fail before an high-voltage wire, properly installed, would. The unit was installed in 2004.

Old 07-26-13, 07:30 AM
Group Moderator
That is a fairly common problem. The nuts weren't tightened properly and the terminals and the wires got extremely hot.

You'll need to order the replacement terminal block and replace the power cord. The links below are the terminal strip. Can be ordered from this company or your local appliance parts retailer. You may want to order some extra terminal block nuts if yours are unuseable.

Whirlpool W10245259 Terminal Block - Appliance Parts Pros
Terminal Block W10245259 Repair Clinic

Old 07-26-13, 08:47 AM
T
"That is a fairly common problem. The nuts weren't tightened properly and the terminals and the wires got extremely hot."

Last question, then. Was there ever a risk of fire in the kitchen due to the loose connection? Should I be checking all the nuts for all 240 V connections in the house? Because the unit was installed in 2004.

Old 07-26-13, 07:48 PM
Group Moderator
No....the rest of your house should be fine. If you have an electric dryer you could double check those connections.

Most of the wiring in the range is contained within a metal confine so the only thing that may have happened is that the insulation may have smoldered or smoked. Most of the wiring is high heat flame retardant.

I have repaired many ovens, ranges and dryers for that problem. I have never seen or have heard of a house fire caused from the terminal block.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: