gas r.v. oven

Old 02-18-01, 01:43 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I just bought a trailer with a Magic Chef oven. The stove top burners light just fine and the oven pilot lights but the main burner in the oven will not light. Where should I start and is there a way to trouble shoot this? The oven is about 13 years old. I expect it is getting gas as the pilot is getting gas. Please help! Thanks,
delton

Old 02-18-01, 05:15 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Fluid Safety

Hi: delton

My guess would be the safety element is defective. This part is heated by the pilot flame. It contains a vapor charge that expands from the heat created by the pilots flame. If that charge is lost, the burner will not function.

Other possibilities:
The pilot flame is restricted, <to small> due to lint/dust in the orifice. The flame may be yellowed <not hot enough> due to lint/dust in the secondary air hole.
The safety element is not in it's holder.
The safety element is not being heated enough by the pilot.
The actuating pilot flame isn't working, possibly due to a restriction, lack of gas due to blockage in the orifice, etc.
Defective safety element, gas valve or a contol panel switch is incorrectly set.
Some ovens the thermostat controls 1 or more of those functions. It could be defective but not likely.
Most ovens have a tiny burner gas isolation valve located under the stove top, near the t-stat or under the lower oven compartments bottom metal plate.
Some ovens require electrical power to operate.

Old 03-04-01, 02:09 PM
Visiting Guest
gas oven

Well I think I have it narrowed down to the thermostat because the secondary pilot never goes on when I turn up the thermostat and if I heat up the sensor bulb that goes to the safety switch with a lighter it fires up. Does that make sence to you? I also cleaned out the piolot with no change. Thanks, delton@micron.net

Old 03-04-01, 03:24 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up Excellent Diagnostic Work

Hi Delton

You got it! The actuating pilot gas <on your oven> then comes from the thermostat. If the thermostat fails to allow gas to flow from it, thru the tube to the pilot assembly, then either the orifice is clogged at the pilot assembly or the thermostat is defective.

Be positive to determine which of the above mentioned 2 possibilities it is, prior to buying a new thermostat even if you think your currently correct. Thermostats are not a returnable / refundable item.

Be sure to 'soap test' for gas leaks at all fittings you have to remove and re-attach if and when you replace the thermostat. For safety, 'soap test' every fitting associated with the gas parts your dealing with at all locations.

Good Luck,
Tom

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: