Gas range broiler won't fully ignite

Old 08-28-13, 09:05 AM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gas range broiler won't fully ignite

Bosch/Siemens gas range about 8 years old.
Last spring the oven burner would not light. I replaced the ignitor and after that it was fine. I went to use the broiler and the flame was not hot enough. Some research indicated that if the ignitor is not hot enough it will not fully open the gas valve. I ordered a replacement ignitor and just installed it (procrastinator). I still have the same problem, very short small flame the full length of the burner tube. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Old 08-29-13, 07:38 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello angelo1100. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic.

Sometimes a common problem when the gas valve becomes defective. Internal valve does not fully open even when the HSI (Hot Surface Igniter) is working correctly. Which in this case it may be hot enough but the internal gas control valve does not fully open.

Try this: Using back end (Handle) of a screw driver, rap on the valve when the burner comes on and displays the small flames. The tap or rap should jar the internal valve to fully open and full flames will appear. If this happens, the gas control valve needs to be replaced.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Reply back with the results of the test so we all know what happened or did not happen.

Old 09-01-13, 09:35 AM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ALL FIXED
After reviewing the owners manual repeatedly for trouble shooting tips, I came accross the Nat Gas to LP conversion manual. I converted it myself when I bought it new.
I eventually and happily converted from propane and oil to NG.
The contractor who converted me to Natural gas never adjusted the broiler burner back to NG. Damn, cost me $80 for an ignitor. I guess I have a spare.
Thanks for your help anyway!
-Bart

Old 09-01-13, 10:05 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,192 Likes on 2,867 Posts
An ignitor is a good spare part to have around.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: