Whirlpool Duet 9250 Dryer leaving clothes damp

Old 09-06-13, 02:01 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Duet 9250 Dryer leaving clothes damp

We have a Whirlpool Duet front loading washer/dryer setup. It's about 6 years old and it's always worked fine. Recently, we started having clothes that were still damp at the end of the drying cycle.

Went on the Internet and did a bit of research, and most comments said either moisture sensor or thermister. I pulled the lower panel off the dryer, removed the fan cover and made sure the exhaust was clean. Removed the vent hose and checked that, and even removed the flapper outside to make sure there was nothing in there. When it's on, there's LOTS of hot air coming out through the vent (and not just when I'm talking!).

So, we put the dryer in diagnostic mode and did the thermister test, which passed fine, and the moisture sensor test, which also passed fine. There wasn't anything else recommended for testing, so I'm not sure where to go next...

AND, to make it more interesting, since unplugging and testing things, it APPEARS that for the moment, things are getting dry again...

Any ideas on what else to test or do I just figure it needed a few thumps of percussive maintenance and a bit of plugging and unplugging?

Old 09-06-13, 02:12 PM
A
Received 73 Upvotes on 66 Posts
I can't help much with some of the newer machines, so will leave that to others, but, in the mean time, how does the laundry feel when it comes out of the washing machine? The last time that my wife told me the dryer wasn't doing the job I checked that, didn't find any problem, but later realized that the washing machine wasn't pumping all of the water out, so solved the problem by changing the belt on that.

Old 09-06-13, 05:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Most dryer problems start with a vent problem. Clean vent to outside. Easy way to check is disconnect vent from back of dryer and feel air flow. Reconnect vent and go outside and feel air flow, should be about the same.

Old 09-06-13, 05:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
If you have the problem again..... try the dryer in timed mode instead of automatic.

Old 09-07-13, 04:44 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Yup, we checked the obvious stuff we could think of...

The washer is spinning the heck out of everything. It still comes out of there feeling good. We did the whole vent, unhooked ran the Lint Lizard (good grief, what a name) through, made sure the area from fan to vent was clean... Air comes through a ton. Even pull the flapper outside look to check... Lots of air flow.

If it happens again, I'll try the timed mode... Is this so it doesn't use the moisture sensor?

Old 09-07-13, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,949 Upvotes on 3,542 Posts
Yes......that is correct. You would not rely on the auto section for drying time.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: