Lighting Mechanism on Gas Stove

Old 02-19-01, 08:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

The lighting mechanism on one of my gas burners seems to be failing. It is the type that has a "lite" setting that makes a clicking noise that activates the flame. The clicking noise is hard to get now and when the flame comes it is like a small explosion especially when there is a pot or kettle on the burner.

I'm normally pretty handy in being able to fix things, but I can't figure this one out.

Is there a part that I can go somewhere an get? Or do I need to call someone to come and fix it?

Thanks.

Old 02-19-01, 09:10 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi:Kathleen

The two most likely parts causing the problem you so accurately discribed is either the sparking element or the switch.

The sparking element can be removed, as can the switch. The switch is located on top of the gas valves stem and is accessible by lifting up the stoves top cover. The sparker element is attached either on the burner itself or on the bracket that supports the burner.

Before you remove the switch, turn off or unplug the stove from the electrical power. Then note which wires go to the switch and in what locations.

The sparkers wire is easy. It's simply one wire attached to the sparking module. This problem sparker may just need to be cleaned or not connected or grounded correctly.

Should you have any doubts about the condition of either part or both parts, take them to the local appliance retail parts store and have them tested.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: