Center burner replacement for Kenmoore gas range

Old 09-16-13, 07:58 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Center burner replacement for Kenmoore gas range

My favorite part of my Kenmoore 790 range is the long center burner for griddles. My only issue is that it isn't long enough. It came with a 8.5 in burner, but it looks like the stove can handle up to a 12 in burner.

Sears parts told me they can't suggest any part that is not original equipment. I've looked high and low for a longer replacement burner without any luck. I'm hoping someone has some experience with Kenmoore ranges and can point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Old 09-16-13, 09:59 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,843 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That's a pretty tall order and Sears should know if there was a longer burner since that's one of their products. If you leave the full model number I'll check around for you.

The other thing you can do is to remove the burner and take it to your local appliance parts store. They may be able to visually match the burner or advise you further.

You need to keep one thing in mind here. That new burner may require more gas then your existing valve can supply. So even if you were to find a larger burner..... it may not operate correctly without changing the orifice.

Old 09-17-13, 07:49 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hello Mahonri. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

You stated your only issue is the griddle burner seems to short. But did not mention why? Care to define the condition(s) which lead you to suspect such? It's important. Not enough heat to the outer areas of the griddle maybe?

Overall not a good idea. Increasing the burner size would very likely require the orifice size to be increased also, as mentioned. Problem would very likely be an excess amount of heat to the griddle plate as well as to the surrounding areas. Griddle plate would then warp out of shape and the surrounding areas develop burn marks, etc.

Best advice is to not replace the burner with a larger one. Seen some griddles exposed to excess heat and quickly became unusable.

Old 09-17-13, 10:27 AM
M
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes the Burner is too short because it does not heat the ends of the griddle.

I am aware of the risks of increasing the size of the burner, but that is something I am willing to try. Also the gas orifice has an flow adjustment that may accommodate the larger burner. These are all good questions, but no one at sears is willing to help me, or the ones I've talked to just don't know.

I'll leave the model number tonight. Thanks for your replies.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: