gas line to fireplace

Old 02-22-01, 10:21 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
I have a fireplace insert that I am finishing around. I have steel pipe converting to flex line that enters the access panel below the firebox. I then put a valve in and convert to steel when entering the firebox. This means that the shutoff valve is in a readily accessible location. The flex pipe is 18" long and WILL NOT be readily accessible. I have installed a second shutoff in the supply line about 30 feet away. Does this meet code?

An illustration:
2" steel pipe ->1/2" steel pipe -> valve -> 30' steel pipe -> 18" flex pipe (enters service opening) -> valve (accessible thru front panel) -> steel pipe -> burner

If it makes a differance, I have another fireplace where flex line (with a yellow jacket) was passed through the floor (wood and steel shell of fireplace). The valve was on the supply side (before the flex), where in my new installation, there are 2 valves. The existing installation was part of a house when I bought it 2 years ago.
Old 02-22-01, 07:03 PM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 9,927
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Your City/County/State Determines Code


I can follow your discription very well.
Several points needed to be addressed here.

Gasline codes vary and you'll need to inquire from the building and safety department in your city what those codes are as they pertain to gas piping.

Any flex gas line that is not going to be visual may not meet the code. Flex inside any wall or cabinet, access panel, etc. is not a good idea. Should a leak develope, the escaping gas is confined and subject to explosion, etc.

Gas flex through any house structure isn't code in my state and may not be in yours either.

Another point is the grandfather clause. Which means just because it was installed in the house prior to your purchasing it, that doesn't mean it's code nor remove you from liability. Nor from bring it up to current codes.

Again, you'll need to check with the city office about codes or any licenced plumber. I am not an attorney nor claim to know local codes nationwide.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: