slight gas smell

Old 02-23-01, 09:16 PM
Visiting Guest
Exclamation

Every once in a while when I walk past my gas stove I can smell a slight gas odor. Is this a problem? If so, how do I fix it?

Old 02-23-01, 09:32 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Soap It

Hi:anything

Without knowing more about the stove you have, I would say you can find that tiny leak with plain dish soap. Just mix up some ordinary liquid dish soap with water in a cup.

Make the soapy water mix kind of heavier with soap and mix it up until it foams. Use an ordinary walltrim painting brush and apply the soap to both ends of the flexable connector. Tiny bubbles should begin to appear after a short time.

A smal leak could be found at any fitting where gas passes through. Check all tubing nuts too. Be patient. Tiny leaks may take a few minutes to appear.

Be sure to apply soap to the undersides of each location tested. Some leaks are on the undersides of fittings and may not always be easy to see.

There may also be more then just one tiny leak. Soap test as many locations as possible. be sure to unplug the stove prior to soaping.

You may also just have a pilot out somewhere. Check for that prior to soap testing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: