50s Wedgewood oven not working

Old 11-12-13, 12:40 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
50s Wedgewood oven not working

My 50s vintage Wedgewood stove which has 4 burners and a griddle on top and an oven on the right and broiler on the left. It has a clock (which doesn't work) and an oven timer (also doesn't work). The entire top section works very well so the oven is the problem. The solenoid works fine and I've taken the safety switch apart and it looks to be in good condition. When I took the safety switch apart so I could check the gas flow I did get flow by holding the dial (says C S M) in the manual position with the electricity on. This dial goes to the S position (spring loaded) so not sure how to keep it in the M position.

But when I reassemble the safety switch I get no gas flow to the burner. The pilot is working fine and the flame is in contact with the thermocouple (safety element) so I'm suspecting the thermocouple is bad. Question.. is the thermocouple activating the safety switch thru heat? So does this sound like a bad thermocouple and what precisely do I need to replace it and where can I get one? Or any other suggestions appreciated. By the way the broiler works fine without electricity.

Also I'm off the grid and don't want to plug in the stove to make the oven work as it keeps my inverter on all the time so any suggestions on how to set this up would be helpful. I guess I could unplug it when not in use so if it's a problem I can do that.

Thanks in advance for your help

Last edited by RKR70; 11-12-13 at 01:07 PM.
Old 11-12-13, 12:51 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Need the model # to find parts for it.

Old 11-12-13, 01:14 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wedgewood oven not working

The name plate is pretty worn, but it looks like N83680 (or N8368D) SOD3.
There's also a number at the bottom 3670

Old 11-12-13, 01:25 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
None of those numbers seam to work, may just be to old.
Try Google with key words "antique gas stoves".
Antique Gas Stoves New Old Stock Vintage Stove/Appliance Parts O'Keefe & Merritt Wedgewood Tappan Chambers Roper Stove Company

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: