Oven flame modulation

Old 11-24-13, 02:44 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Oven flame modulation

I have a Hardwick 20" gas range, Z1676W-1R, operates on natural gas. I suspect it is manufactured in the 1950's so manuals are hard to come by. I recently moved to a different house. Upon re-installing the stove I noticed the flame on the pilot was about an inch high. The oven pilot is normal and the flame extender on the oven pilot also is normal and extends over the sensing wire when the oven control is activated.

I adjusted the burner pilot down to normal levels. Oven main flame will bring the oven to temperature and then shuts off completely--does not modulate down and up. When oven calls for heat again the flame turns on full until it comes to temp and then oven main flame shuts down again. The flame modulated in our former house.

Could I have a higher gas pressure in the new house. There is no "in line" regulator installed for this stove but all other appliances including water heater, furnace and kitchen range are mfg. from 2003 to 2013. Could excess gas pressure cause the "on/off" situaiton with the main oven burner? If so, what size (pressure rating) regulator should I purchase and install?

Old 11-24-13, 06:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,328 Upvotes on 2,987 Posts
I'm not an authority on older ovens like that but there are guys here that are.

Most older ovens that I'm aware of do not modulate. You light the pilot and the burner turns on full or off completely.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: