Gas Cooktop Intermittant Light-off

Old 12-01-13, 04:03 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Cooktop Intermittant Light-off

Hi

I have an older White-Westinghouse gas cooktop that will not always light off. There is plenty of gas heard and smelled as well as a decent-looking spark at the burner.

All of the holes in the burners are clear and there is no baked-on food residue apparent.

The burners seem to light whenever they feel like it, rather than every time they are selected, with no apparent rhyme nor reason to their behaviour.

I have been unable to find any documentation online and several repair places I have asked about the problem are not sure what the problem might be without "a visit".

If it helps, the model number is CGP307W1 RF, s/n 22500127 and it was manufactured by Frigidaire.

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-01-13, 04:40 PM
Received 7 Votes on 4 Posts
Sounds like you have done the first thing....clean it!! If you are getting spark at the burner(s), think of it as your car. The electrodes are your spark plugs, they have to be set to the right gap. If they are not arcing to the correct spot on the burners it will sometimes prevent them from lighting the gas. Make sure they are arcing up and not to the side. You may have bad electrodes ($4/ea) or your spark module may be getting weak ($50), modules normally will either work or not work, so don't believe that is your problem.
If the electrodes are arcing to the correct place, I would take a real close look at the base of them and make sure they are not arcing there too, thus reducing the spark at the top. Shut your gas off to the stove, turn off the lights and look at the spark. This should give you a pretty good view of the spark, without the risk of burning your eyebrows!!
The next thing is to ensure the gas is making it to where the spark is located....if everything is clean, holes are clear and the burner is aligned and sitting flat, it should be good.

Old 12-01-13, 04:48 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: