gas range problem

Old 02-26-01, 10:42 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

We've got a 1984 Tappan gas range that came with the house. It's very basic, bottom-of-the-line, and has had better days. I would say the previous owner wasn't too concerned with keeping things in good shape. As long as it works...

The problem we're having is that it takes forever for the oven to heat up. And since there is no preheat indicator I have to open the door to see if it is up to temperature or not. I have no way of knowing if it stays at the correct temp while cooking- or if it even ever reaches the correct temp!

Is it worthwhile to have someone come look at it? As I said, this is a very basic unit. I could buy the same one for about $275 at American (not that I would).

Can anyone help me on this?

Thanks-
Andrea

Old 02-26-01, 07:14 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi:Andrea

You might try contacting your gas comapny and inquire if in home services are available in your area. An estimate of costs to repair the stove may also be worth while.

In regards to a long time to heat up, could be a waek glow coil or bad gas valve. Replacing those parts if needed and or a thermostat plus labor may be more then the stoves worth as you mentioned.

However, a glow coil isn't a costly repair nor is a thermostat calibration. I suggest you inquire first with the gas company. Some companies offer free or low cost in home adjustemnts while other do several types of appliance repairs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: