Viking 6-burner stove: only 2 middle ones ignite

Old 12-26-13, 06:16 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Viking 6-burner stove: only 2 middle ones ignite

left ones ignite erratically while right ones do not at all... Appreciating all ideas / opinions

Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-13, 09:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 228 Votes on 210 Posts
Are you getting an ignition spark on all the burners? Are all the burners properly placed/assembled on the range?

Old 12-27-13, 01:24 PM
Just 4 spark, the other 2 do not, but the situation is overall helped by putting oven broiler ignitor first, as if it fills some capacitor... new spark module did not improve the picture.

Old 12-27-13, 01:28 PM
yep, and all the burners/holes/ignitor heads were checked to be properly placed and cleaned thoroughly few times

Old 12-27-13, 01:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 373 Votes on 350 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I moved your thread to the gas appliance forums.

Your unit uses a six port or output spark module. It's connected to each burner with it's own wire. The oven and broiler don't use that spark module for their ignition and have no connection to it.

You've changed the spark module and you still have the problem. The problem is then at the burners. It's usually caused by the spark jumping the gap before the burner cap.

You didn't leave a model number for your range but are these the style burners yours has ?

Name:  viking burner.jpg
Views: 3702
Size:  11.4 KB

Old 12-27-13, 03:04 PM
Thank you both for prompt response. The stove came with the house and lacks docs or serial plate, but is very close to modern VGIC5366BSS. The ignitors are very similar, in their upper part to the pic, though sit a bit farther from the burners, beyond the round base. What further puzzles me is that the clicking (when any burner turned on) is unstable from occasion to occasion, sometimes very low and weak, no spark, sometimes normal strong with 4 burners sparking before the correct one of them lights

Old 12-27-13, 03:18 PM
and you are right about sparking module, it is Invensys PA020048, there are 9 wires in its lower (N,L,G,SW1-6) and 6 unidentified in its upper connections).

Old 01-01-14, 06:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 373 Votes on 350 Posts
Viking isn't one of my normally serviced appliances. I left you a picture that shows the igniter piece. The wire connects to the bottom and the spark jumps at the top.

If there is a crack in the porcelain the spark won't jump at the top but somewhere in between. I would remove the igniter in the burners that won't light and visually check them for cracks.