Gas Oven Noisy, weak heating

Old 01-25-14, 01:51 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas Oven Noisy, weak heating

We have an older (20+ yr!?) Hotpoint gas range at our lake home that just doesn't seem right. Natural gas, glow bar ignition, oven takes several minutes to light initially, when lighting it has very faint pop, pop, pop, finally the bar will light but the flame is not very wide, it is a clean blue,, but the oven has a pretty good roar, you can sit 15 feet from it and hear the burner is on. It does cycle off and on, it just seems that it won't get above 300-325. I also seem to see a small flame at the jet/orifice through the air shutter. This oven has a burner bar which goes straight up from the valve a few inches then bends 90 degrees before the ignition, crossover, burner holes. Is it normal for the flame to travel down the pipe to the valve/jet? I'm going to remove the burner bar and clean all the holes, is it possible that the cross over/ignition slot is degraded causing issues, as it seems to be more than a thin slot. I'm also going to remove jet and inspect/clean it. Advice appreciated

Old 01-25-14, 05:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 4,050 Upvotes on 3,633 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

The igniter..... even though it appears to be working fine..... needs to be replaced. The current draw of the igniter is what opens the gas valve. As the units age their current draw goes down and won't open the gas valve fully.

Old 01-26-14, 06:24 AM
C
Condition of burner

here is a pic of the burner bar, looks to me like it is too far gone, see how degraded the ingnition/crossover slot is? I'm thinking if the ignition is weak and the bar needs replaced it might be time to scrap the oven, any thoughts? Am I wrong? Are the burner bars readily available
Name:  burner.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  26.6 KB

Old 01-26-14, 06:31 AM
C
Correction

The Range is a Tappan Model 30-2279-23

Old 01-26-14, 10:47 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,050 Upvotes on 3,633 Posts
I couldn't find a listing for 30-2279-23 ........ so I used 30-2272-23 which was a popular series.

Frigidaire Part# 3131439 Bake Oven Burner can be found at many places yet however the best price I found online was around 75.00. Between the price of the burner and the igniter..... it may be time for an appliance replacement.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: