Old Wedgewood oven doesn't start

Old 01-30-14, 08:04 PM
G
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Old Wedgewood oven doesn't start

Hello,
I have an issue with my old Wedgewood stove. I shut the gas valve off to bomb the house (fumigate) and afterwards turned it on. I lit all the pilots. The burners work but the oven doesn't start.
Did I break anything when I moved the stove to turn the gas off? Not sure what to look for. The pilot is on, there's no gas coming through the oven burner when I turn the knob on. There's also a hissing noise I'm not sure if it was there before (only inside the oven) and there's no gas smell.

Can someone give me an idea of what to do or look for? The oven worked perfectly before I turned off and on the gas.

Thanks.

Old 01-31-14, 09:07 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,338 Upvotes on 2,997 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

These units are slightly before my time.

It could be rust blocking/clogging the pilot causing it to not work properly. The pilot hissing may signify a partial blockage. The pilot flame heats a little metal bulb called a thermocouple. This device tells the gas safety valve that the pilot is lit. It needs to be fully in the flame...... it may have moved.

A good place to start would be to turn the gas off and vacuum the pilot assembly for the oven. You may have to actually remove the pilot assembly and clean it.

Your oven may also have a red pushbutton on the gas valve that will need to be pushed and reset for the oven to light. That button could be under the top burner cover or maybe in the pullout drawer area.

Old 02-01-14, 01:18 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hello Gio6005. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

As already and correctly mentioned.

Old stoves such as the one you're describing all have re-set buttons. Usually located under top lid or in cabinet next to the oven/broiler combo unit. Locate the safety. Light the ovens pilot. Press in the RED safety button and hold it depressed for at least 60 seconds. That will allow the safety element to heat up. Then slowly release button and pilot should remain on.

There are a few models that the temp knob gets pushed in to re-set the safety. Very area type and not likely the one you have. Some pilots will emit no gas to pilot until re-set is pressed in. Other allow pilot gas but no burner gas. Try to light pilot first. Once flame is established push re-set.

Additional Advice and Information Here:
Read the Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Informational Sticky Note, in this forums topic, for more detailed information.

Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information, Fault Codes & Mfg's Web Site Links http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=159808

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: