Gas Oven re-lights over and over during operation

Old 02-02-14, 06:29 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Gas Oven re-lights over and over during operation

Hi Everyone,

I have a Maytag Gas Oven Model MGR5765QDW that had the bottom burner igniter die a few weeks ago and replaced it. Just last night I turned on the oven, it fired, got to temperature and cycled off it's gas.

As soon as that happened the click came from the oven and the gas valve opened and the flame started. As soon as that happened the flame shut off and almost immediately the click came from the oven and the gas turned on. As soon as the flame turned on it turned off and the cycle kept repeating.

What could be possibly wrong with the poor oven now??

Thx for the help

Sponsored Links
Old 02-04-14, 05:14 PM
T
Any suggestions?? The oven keeps cycling on and off the flame ignition and cut off approximately 10 to 12 times per minute. Something must be wrong....

Please help!

Old 02-04-14, 05:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,020 Votes on 946 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry for the delay. Busy dodging the snowflakes here.

When you first turn it on.....does it light and stay lit until it comes up to the proper heat ?

We need to find out if the oven control is causing the cycling or if the igniter is the problem.
(I know....new igniter)

I'm going to try to find some service info on it. Many Canadian built products are not listed in our service files.

Old 02-05-14, 05:09 AM
T
Hi,

Yes it gets to the temperature set then as soon as the flame goes out the cycle starts.... flame starts, burns for a few seconds then shuts off. Between 2 to 3 seconds later the cycle begins again... flame starts, burns for a few seconds then shuts off to repeat again in 2 to 3 seconds.

When I changed the igniter the parts supply house said that they exact part number of what I had originally was changed to a new one. Looked exactly the same, only difference was the wires originally had a bit of an insolation to them while the new one has a somewhat ceramic finish to it. Exact same electrical plastic connection.

Thx so much for the help.
Dave

Old 02-06-14, 01:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,020 Votes on 946 Posts
I'm slightly confused.

The oven comes up to the proper temperature on startup. That tells me the temperature sensor, gas valve and igniter are ok.

When the temperature setting is met the control board turns off power to the igniter/gas valve.
You said that the flame goes off and then a few seconds it comes back on. Do you mean that the igniter comes back on and then the burner ?

I would check the 120vac out of the control board just to verify that it is going on and off which would confirm the the control board is defective.

There are two 4 pin plugs on the back of the control board. You want to check the plug with the two blacks, red and yellow. The yellow(pin 2) is the 120vac hot line to the oven section.

Old 02-06-14, 09:46 AM
T
Hi PJ,

Thanks for the help... Yes the oven will come to proper temp then shut off.

I will pull the pan off the burner tonight and see if the igniter comes back on after the gas shuts off when proper temperature is reached.

Will also borrow a multi meter and check the outputs you mentioned.

Thanks you so much for the help. Will let you know how it turns out.

Thx
Dave