ignition module correct?

Old 03-04-01, 08:03 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I gave a friend a 12year old lady kenmore range with glass top, sealed burner with spark ignition that automatically sparks when flame is out. I assume that this works by flame rectification and the burner flame becomes the ground for the electrode, which stops the sparking. The module stoped working and was replaced with a oem part. Since the module was replaced the burners will not stop sparking unless 2 specific burners are on. By changing the wires on the module changes the pattern of what burners need to be paired in order to get sparking to stop. I checked for polarity at the plug and also made sure the unit was properly grounded. I am begining to wonder if the problem is in the new module. There seems to be proper gap between igniter and burners for each. I managed to break the glass top since this problem started and I wish to remedy this annoyance before she invests in new glass top. Thank you for providing such a wonderful service.

[Edited by phillipsus on 03-04-01 at 11:17]

Old 03-05-01, 06:55 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi: phillip

You will need to verify that the wall receptical is in fact grounded. Just having a three prong receptical in the outlet box does not mean it's grounded. The ground may have to be verified all the wall back to the main electrical panel.

It's possible the modual is defective. However, it's an electrical componet which is not returnable nor refundable. It can be taken into the appliance store for testing.

Check for correct functioning of the sparker switches and be sure the spark modual is grounded to the stove by being correctly installed and seated.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: