ge monogram 36 gas cooktop

Old 03-30-14, 10:14 AM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ge monogram 36 gas cooktop

I have a 36" ge monogram gas cooktop. I have 2 burners that the ignitor remains clicking when I turn the burner on. One of them will light and remain clicking and the other will not light at all. I can see spark transferring to burner but it will not light. I can get it to run by lighting with a lighter and it continues to click. I ordered 2 new ignitor switch assemblies and replaced them both and still I have the same problem. I took all burners apart and cleaned them as well. I attached some photos below.

Attached Images    
Old 03-30-14, 11:55 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,485 Votes on 1,373 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

There is spark control switch on every burner control shaft(4). Those switches are tied in parallel so that they all do the same thing. Any one switch active and all the burners will spark.

You have one switch that once activated keeps the spark going no matter where the valve is turned ? You mentioned you replaced that switch. Did you put it on in the proper direction ?

The one burner that doesn't actually get spark may need the spark electrode replaced.

Name:  ge.jpg
Views: 866
Size:  28.1 KBName:  electrode.jpg
Views: 605
Size:  1.7 KB

Old 03-31-14, 06:38 PM
H
Yes the plastic ignitor has 2 plastic prongs that come off the back of it and fit over a screw so you can't put it in backwards. they all spark at one time and one burner is sparking but will not light. I was able to get it lit with a match so it does seem to have a normal gas flow coming out once i put fire to it. The other burner will light but the clicking noise continues on and on until I turn the burner off.

Old 03-31-14, 08:39 PM
Group Moderator
The burner is sparking but not in the right place. Sometimes the porcelain of the igniter cracks or something spills in it causing it to short.

As far as the switch..... if you put the switch on in the correct orientation.... then it may be defective.

Old 04-01-14, 04:31 AM
H
I bought 3 switches. I tried 2 of them. I guess it is possible that both could be bad. I lit the burners that are operating normal and watched the electrode. I observed a small lightning bolt of current traveling from the electrode back to the burner. I have not replaced any electrodes but they all appear to be operating the same. Is it possible that the it is not giving off enough current?

Old 04-01-14, 11:00 PM
Group Moderator
The spark need to be right at the burner. Usually what happens is it takes a short cut.

I was just thinking..... could those be the wrong switches. It's not real likely to get two brand new ones defective.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: