Thread sealant

Old 04-14-14, 09:31 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thread sealant

I have purchased a new gas cooker with an eye level grill. I have fitted the grill to the cooker (it came in two parts). When I join the pipe couplings at the back of the cooker that connect the grill to the cooker (very narrow pipe), should I use a thread sealant?

The gas engineer will be fixing the cooker to the main supply.

The cooker is a New World NW55THLG

I would appreciate any advice.

Thanks
Liam

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-14, 10:53 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Lima62 and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and the Gas Appliances topic.

For the usage on appliance pipe threads, a non hardening pipe sealant should be okay. Pipe or thread dope, as it is often called, that does not harden would be my personal choice and one that we used as appliance techs and installers, etc. Non hardening sealant will make any future disassembly much easier.

Actually, we used grease on pipe threads some times too. Lubriplate to be more exact...

On the shut off valve (female end) that is screwed onto the gas supply pipe threads, a thread compound (pipe dope) is advisable. But not on the male end of the shut off valve, that connects to the flex line, oil is best in my opinion. Not any pipe dope nor sealant. Just use any plain type of oil on the shut off valves male end which threads onto the adapter end.

Old 04-14-14, 11:45 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thank you very much, I really appreciate your advice.