Gas Flow to Vintage Gas Stove

Old 04-22-14, 09:16 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I recently had a gas drop added to my house for installation of a 1950's Wedgewood gas stove. The gas line was tested successfully. The stove is actually an unregulated (I think) propane stove.

I hooked it up with a kit using no regulator thinking I could adjust the flow at the burner. When I turned on the gas I got nothing. Obviously the pilots would not light. There was no smell of gas...nothing. I disconnected the gas line and turned it on without anything connected to it and there was still no flow.

I do not understand what is going on. According to the pressure test I have the proper pressure of natural gas. Yet, I can't get it to flow. Can anyone explain this?

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-14, 01:03 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,193 Votes on 1,104 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

If the stove is not connected to the gas line and you don't get any gas flow..... something is not turned on all the way. Service valve at meter maybe.

Also.....get a regulator on that stove.....at least for the oven.

Old 04-23-14, 08:29 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello tahuya4. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

If there is no gas flow out of the newly installed gas line, then I too agree with PJ. Might be an isolation gas shut off valve at the start of where the new line was added into the existing gas line. If there is one and it's turned off, it will not allow gas flow through the newly added gas pipe.

Which, if the above is the case, the pressure test is totally null and void. All lines have to be tested. Newly added plus all existing lines. Meaning a leak pressure testing of the entire system with all valves shut off at the appliance connection points but on in the piping system.

If there is no gas flow out of that newly installed gas line but there is gas to other gas appliances, then in my opinion, you need to call back the licensed piping/plumber installer and have the entire gas system re-checked and re-pressure tested. A complete testing of all lines with only the shut off valves where the appliances are connected to turned off.

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Old 04-23-14, 07:45 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your reply.

I will check for an isolation valve, but it is hard to imagine how the Building Department could have got satisfactory pressure on a test with the valve shut. Do you think the test was performed and then the valve was closed? Is an isolation valve (in addition to a shut-off valve at the appliance) code for natural gas systems?

I read somewhere that there or LP valves that sense the lack of a load on the system and shut down gas flow. Is it possible that I have such a valve? I did hook this up to a non-regulated stove.

Old 04-24-14, 08:18 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: tahuya4

Building department safety inspectors are not required to visually nor physically inspect the entire gas line for opened valves or capped outlets, etc. At least not here where I am. Valve not likely to have been opened during test and then closed afterward either. Unless the line was added from the gas meter and not from the existing house line.

Gas piping installers out this way set entire system up for inspection and leave. They do not even return to get back the pressure testing gage. Pressure testing gages are a one time usage gage.

Cannot answer any of your other questions since I am not aware of codes in your area. However, an isolation line is usually required when the added line is not tapped into the existing houses gas line. Only required when added in from the gas meter. Like an outdoor BBQ line taken from the outlet side of the gas meter.

I am not familiar with LP etc. Only natural gas and the rules and codes in my working area. Only auto shut off valves I am familiar with for Nat gas is an earthquake shut off valve for residential usage. Not any in line valves. Best way and safest method is to inquire why there is no gas out of the newly installed gas line to the appliance and let the pros figure it out.

As mentioned above by PJ. Non regulated stove should have the correct type of regulator installed onto the stoves inlet pipe once gas of either type is used.