Gas Stove Burner Control

Old 05-02-14, 08:17 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Stove Burner Control

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has a suggestion on how to adjust the controls for my gas stove. The flame size between the high and medium setting is noticeable, but medium to low doesn't change the flame much. Is there a way to spread the variation of flame size across the whole dial?

Thanks!

Old 05-02-14, 08:28 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

There isn't a way I know of to change the flame size in relationship to the setting.
However, the low flame can be separately adjusted by removing the knob and very carefully using a long thin flat head screwdriver thru the center of the gas valve to adjust the size. Normally you'd adjust this setting if the flame was too small on low and kept blowing out.

Old 05-05-14, 06:27 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello danmil. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The more common and usual type of gas valve has no center flame size adjustment screw. Unless a valve knob indicates in some manner flame size selection on the dial. Usually, if equipped, one burner may have an indication on the knob indicating a selection of flame size.

Is it only one burner your referring to or all top burners?
Natural or propane fuel? A new appliance or older one?

We can help you better if you help us. Kindly use the reply button and provide the stoves brand name, model and age of stove. Photos if possible. Include as much details as you can so we can better understand the condition and assist you....

Old 05-06-14, 03:25 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the responses. . .

The stove is a GE profile Natural Gas unit.
Model#JGBP85WEA2WW

There are three burner sizes:

5K BTU/Hr
9.5K BTU/Hr
12K BTU/Hr

The stove came with the house when we bought it in '06.

I am hoping to gain finer control of the flame size over the whole range of the dial for all the burners.

Old 05-06-14, 10:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,476 Votes on 1,364 Posts
I originally thought you had a problem with one burner but you're saying they're all the same way. If all the valves act the same way then that is the way it's going to operate. There is not a way to adjust or modify them for different operation.

Old 05-07-14, 07:04 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts

Only 3 burners? I suspect there are 4. One burner of which is a duplicate BTU rate of another. However, if you have used this same stove since moving into house in 06 and it has operated the same all that time, there is no known method to finely tune nor adjust flame sizes.

You can carefully pull off one burner knob and use a flash light to peer down the valves stem. Unlikely see any adjustment screw.

I am hoping to gain finer control of the flame size over the whole range of the dial for all the burners.
Using a thin walled open ended wrench to adjust an orifice will get the desired results wanted. Orifice may or may not be adjustable. If adjusting the orifice does help resize the flame it will change the flame size across the whole range of the dial as you want. Use caution. May result in other undesirable problems...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: