Gaffers and Sattlers pilot light flaming out...

Old 05-06-14, 11:02 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gaffers and Sattlers pilot light flaming out...

I have a dual oven that I had to move out while I redid my floors. When I hooked it back up I noticed that one of the pilot lights in one of the ovens only has a problem staying lit.

The pilot light nozzle has two holes at 9 and 12 o'clock. The 9 o'clock one is supposed to emit a flame for the thermocouple, while the 12 o'clock lights the oven when the gas is turned on.

The strange thing is that the 9 o'clock stays lit just fine, but the 12 o'clock does not. It will stay lit for just a bit but it sounds like someone is blowing on the flame and it blows itself out. The excess gas is not getting burned off (we can smell it). If I get under there with a lighter it the flame comes out of the 12 o'clock but like I said it immediately goes out as soon as I stop the lighter.

At first the thing wasn't even burning enough to reach the thermocoupler, so I took it off and cleaned it and now it does as I described above.

Anyone had any issues or luck fixing these?

Thanks!

Old 05-07-14, 06:30 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello win_the_day. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

A bit confusion if I am understanding your pilot descriptions. There should be one small pilot facing upward at about the 12 o'clock position. That pilot remains on constantly. The second larger flame is lit by this smaller always on pilot but only when the ovens temp control is turned on.

Second larger flame should be facing (sloping) slightly downward at the 5 o'clock position. Not the 9 o'clock position. Both the constant on and actuating flame (larger flame that turns on when temp dial is rotated on) look exactly like the one in the oven that works.

You have one advantage that might be helpful. A free in-home service provided by the natural gas company in your area if the fuel used is natural gas. A tech from the company will come to home and maybe able to help to resolve the problem. If you use natural gas, (???) phone number for service is on the paper bill sent to home address.

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Old 05-07-14, 04:55 PM
W
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Sharp, thanks for the reply.

I took the time to upload some pictures to imgur here. I also created and animation file here.

Basically the pilot light has two holes that work together so that one is heating the thermocoupler and the other lights the burner. They are offset by 45 degrees.

The pilot light seems to have a problem lighting both holes at once. The most stable position I was able to find was 5 (hole A) and 7 (hole B) o'clock. Even then, the 5 o'clock flames out after the burner has been turned on then off. If I rotate it to 9 (hole B) and 12 (hole A) (the 5 hole being 9 and the 7 hole being 12) the 12 o'clock won't even light even though gas is coming out of it. This eliminates that it is one hole in particular that is bad.

If I put a lighter in over hole A in the 9/12 configuration the air wooshes like a jet engine through the lighter and the flame gets larger. When I pull the lighter away, it immediately stops.

Thanks again for your interest and help!

Old 05-08-14, 11:21 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: win_the_day

Thanks for posting photos...

The pilot flame facing in the 4-5 o'clock position should remain on constantly. Appears to be burning clean, facing burner is correct position and best as I can see and tell correctly sized. Actuating pilot, facing in the 7 o'clock position, to small to maintain enough heat to the pilot generator. Not a thermocouple. Both do same thing. Pilot generator (PG) simply produces more current.

There is at least one air intake hole near the back of the pilot assembly. Aspect you needed to know, if you didn't already know. May be slightly restricted, best I can see. Another possible and likely cause is the orifice is restricted. Not allowing enough gas to flow out when both pilot flames are on.

Care is needed if there is a need to access the orifice. Old parts strip and/or break easily and cannot be replaced... Access is to remove that center screw or unscrewing the entire pilot assembly, etc. Orifice may have a hole, slot or stamped opening. Either one is tiny opening and should NEVER be enlarged. If removed, hold it up to a light to see and see if it is clear and not obstructed, etc.

In my opinion, call the natural gas company S/C gas, and let there service person deal with it. Providing and hoping you are using natural gas.......?????? and the sent service rep person knows what they are doing....????...

BTW: The gas valve supplying gas to the burner should have two wires attached to it, coming from the pilot generator (PG) if my memory recalls.

Old 05-21-14, 09:17 PM
M
Received 3 Upvotes on 3 Posts
The pilot is dirty, blow thru the holes to clear it. The flame doesn't appear to have a sharp edge so I would think the orifice is ok and just dust in the primary air.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: