Yellow flames in gas oven running LP

Old 06-13-14, 06:22 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yellow flames in gas oven running LP

I am having a problem with a Frigidaire Gas range Model plgf390dca running on LP. This stove has worked well for years, but now the oven bake burner stopped working correctly. It would not light, and smelled of gas. The stove-top hobs, and broiler burner all still work well, Research indicated an igniter problem, so I replaced igniter with correct replacement part. After the igniter replacement, the bake burner would light, but with almost no flames (about 1/4 inch), and sometimes instead of lighting the burner, I was getting a whooshing sound and flames in the venturi instead of the burner. I verified that the gas regulator is set for LP. The oven burner orifice was adjusted all the way down, and the air shutter is fully open. If I open the oven burner orifice a little, the flames get larger (about 1 to 1 & 1/2 inches), and I no longer get the whooshing sound or flames in the venturi. However the flames have too much yellow, and are sooty. I am wondering if there is an adjustment I have missed, or maybe I have a bad safety valve?

Old 06-14-14, 06:39 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Chip and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and the Gas Appliances topic.

You mentioned two important factors.

First one was orifice adjusted all the way >down

Old 06-16-14, 04:18 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sharp,
The orifice started fully closed like it should be for LP. In that position, I was either getting the whooshing sound with no visible flames, or really small blue flames at the burner 1/4" to 1/2".
Opening the orifice slightly (about 1/8 -1/4 turn), produced more gas, and stopped the whooshing sound, however, The slightly larger flames (1"-1 & 1/2") now have yellow tips and are sooty. The air shutter is full open as well, and closing it slightly only produces more yellow in the flames.

PS, These flames lengths are at the burner, not extending beyond the flame spreader.

Last edited by Chip Packard; 06-16-14 at 04:20 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 06-16-14, 06:03 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Chip

Thanks for adding more details. Helps.

I would recommend replacing the burners gas valve. Based upon the added information, valve is not functioning properly. Not fully opening. Thus not enough gas flowing through it to produce flame size needed.

One test might be to tap the valve while it is on producing the small flames. A tap or rap using back end of a screw driver or similar device should jar the valve to open fully. Done correctly and the flames become larger or size they should be, the gas valve is defective and needs to be replaced.

Service techs almost always replace both igniter and a gas valve at the same time. On the first call for service. Helps to ensure oven/broiler functions properly on the first service call. Helps eliminate call backs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: