Whirlpool Gas Dryer Won't Heat... Tried everything I could think of...

Old 08-31-14, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Gas Dryer Won't Heat... Tried everything I could think of...

I have a Whirlpool 5100 gas dryer that is roughly 7(ish!) years old. It still moves and "tumbles" everything just fine, but will NOT heat. Gas is working (water heater next to it is fine), vent is not clogged, etc. So far I've replaced the thermal fuse, igniter, valve solenoids, internal thermostat (the one by the thermal fuse... not the high limit thermostat), and the flame sensor. I'm at a loss. While I'm truly having fun tinkering and I'm now pretty amazing at taking it apart and putting it back together, I'd like to be able to dry a load of clothes in under 4 days! Any suggestions would be SO appreciated. I'm too darn stubborn to call out a repairman for heaven knows how much, when I COULD get a new dryer for a few hundred dollars. So far between the parts I've ordered online, I've spent a whopping $25 so I'm all for continuing to tinker... just need some advice on which part to work on next! Thank you SO much!!

(Oh, and on a side note, there is no glow from the igniter, no "click" that I can hear at any point, and no heat being generated at all)...

Thanks again...
Beth

Sponsored Links
Old 08-31-14, 02:12 PM
Group Moderator
Received 339 Votes on 317 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Please post the complete model number for your dryer. It should be inside front door frame.

Old 08-31-14, 04:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 19 Votes on 18 Posts
The hi limit thermostat is the one you should have changed. Please post model # and do you have a multi meter?

Old 09-01-14, 05:26 AM
There's also a thermal cutoff in that circuit as well as the timer and possibly the motor switch depending on model. There are 3 different versions of the 5100 with 3 different wiring diagrams so we need the full model number.

Old 09-01-14, 08:40 PM
More Info! :)

Wow, you guys are awesome and QUICK. The model number on the inside of the door reads as follows: WGD5100VQ1 (purchased originally from Sears) Thank you, thank you!!

Old 09-01-14, 09:59 PM
Group Moderator
There are many more parts to change here.
Actually at this point a VOM (volt ohmmeter) would come in handy.

Link for the wiring diagram... wd_gas_zpsd221ee98.jpg

Name:  drye.jpg
Views: 8219
Size:  35.0 KB

Old 09-02-14, 05:29 AM
You didn't answer, do you have a multimeter? Parts swapping is expensive, troubleshooting with meter and wiring diagram is easy and will locate the fault.

Old 09-02-14, 11:43 AM
More...

Hi again, yes I do actually have a multimeter. I wasn't sure on quite how it is supposed to be used, but I've seen a couple of videos on here and it looks fairly straightforward...

Old 09-02-14, 11:51 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You want to set meter for continuity. Put lead ends together and turn knob until it squeals. All thermostats. thermo fuse, heater should make a noise. Closed circuit if no noise you have a open and it is bad.

Old 09-02-14, 01:05 PM
Don't forget the timer. With dryer unplugged, set timer to normal heat cycle and check continuity between timer terminals C and A.

Old 09-03-14, 05:09 PM
I had a whirlpool gas dryer that sounds like it had the same problem. After doing lots of google searching decided to try replacing the solenoid which was 30 something dollars and was the problem. Lots of great videos on-line if you are a do-it-yourself person-----Whirlpool Gas Dryer Repair - Does not heat properly - LGB6200PQO. Best of luck!

Allie

Old 09-03-14, 05:14 PM
Group Moderator
allmcc.... welcome to the forums.

If you notice in the first post..... the OP has already changed the solenoid coils.

Old 09-03-14, 08:02 PM
Thank you again!

Thank you again... I'm definitely going to keep at it and take your advice/suggestions this weekend!! Wish I could do it now but between work and kids... it'll have to wait two days

Old 09-04-14, 01:56 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Keep us informed will help as much as we can