In ProcessAdSlots.php line 39: Trying to access array offset on value of type null

Propane newbie overwhelmed with responsibility—how do I store this?

Old 09-07-14, 07:30 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Propane newbie overwhelmed with responsibility—how do I store this?

I was given a gas grill as a gift, but the anxiety of owning propane is starting to get to me. I've been trying to get a good, safe setup for storing my cylinder, and I want to see how this goes over with experts.

My yard is basically 100% sun, so I've been struggling to find a way to keep the tank out of direct sun, keep it dry, etc. Here's what I've got:

1. Two bricks on the ground.
2. Large blue plastic storage container on top of the bricks, with 9 holes drilled in the bottom.
3. Cylinder inside of container.
4. Snap-tight lid on top.

All of this located at the back corner of my yard, which is basically equidistant from my house and my neighbors.

Thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-14, 07:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 223 Votes on 196 Posts
Welcome to the forums

A propane cylinder in the sun is not an issue. Tanks are only filled to 80% (or less) of full to allow space for expansion due to temperature. Also, newer tanks have an Overfill Protection Device (OPD) that will vent gas if the pressure gets too high due to overfilling. Although it will not vent the entire contents of the tank, just until the pressure drops. It will have a kind of triangular-ish type knob on the valve and marked with OPD on it.

Your best option is to keep the tank stored outside in case the tank does vent, which I never seen happen, it will just go into the atmosphere.

Old 09-07-14, 08:02 PM
L
So the plastic tub won't be necessary? And it'll be ok exposed to rain, etc?

Old 09-07-14, 08:03 PM
Group Moderator
Yes. You can even keep it on the grill.
------------------------------------

Old 09-07-14, 08:05 PM
S
I can appreciate your concern but be assured that being around the propane bottle is far safer than being around a gasoline container one might fill his lawn mower with or for that matter filling your car on a winter day with the possibility of static electricity ignition.

Just research as much as possible on the safety aspects, relax and enjoy your grill.

Old 09-07-14, 08:08 PM
I live in CA and the sun just beats down. Never had a problem with grill or outdoor heater tanks.
If you want to protect the tank, it would be for appearance. In my opinion there's nothing wrong with that. A good grill cover would serve the same purpose and save you from having to remove tank.

Old 09-08-14, 03:51 AM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Also, newer tanks have an Overfill Protection Device (OPD) that will vent gas if the pressure gets too high due to overfilling.
Uh, no. The OPD is a float valve inside the tank that shuts off the fill at a particular liquid level, about 80% of the tank capacity. It has nothing to do with the venting of the tank if over-pressurized. ALL propane tanks have a safety pressure relieving device, either a spring-loaded safety valve or a rupture disc that will open in case the pressure rises above the safety level. The spring-loaded safety valve will only open long enough to bring the pressure to a safe level where a rupture disc will allow all the propane to escape.

Old 09-08-14, 04:34 PM
Group Moderator
I was misinformed about the function of the OPD. Thank you for the correction Furd.

At least my advice was still OK.