gas water heater not heating!

Old 03-21-01, 05:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

My 8 year old son just tried to take a shower, and the hot water ran out very quickly. I hadn't recently run anything that would have used it up. I went down stairs and checked our gas water heater (approx. 5 years old) and the pilot light is lit and it seems to be heating. I can't tell if there is no water in the tank, or WHAT?!! Any immediate suggestions would be sooo appreciated.

Old 03-21-01, 09:02 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Subjective Term

Hi:AndreaPT

Hello Andrea and welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and my Gas Appliances forum.

Ran out of hot water how quick?

Lots of doubt here for my to offer any specific advice.

Could be the incoming water is just too cold. Incoming cold water helps to dilute the tanks hot water faster. The tank size and age could be a factor as well as the shower head.

The tank could have a broken internal dip tube or a defective thermostat. Could be a hot water leak in a nonvisable leaking hot water pipe somewhere.

If the problem persists, you may need to contact a plumber.
You may want to also post this question in the plumbing forum. Add more detail so plumber2000 can offer you more specific advice.

Old 03-22-01, 06:32 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks Tom-- I'll try plumbing forum. We seem to be getting hot water now, but possibly not a full tank, as it just runs out faster than it used to.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: